Wavebox Preview is now Chromium [Wavebox works with 1Password X]

Comments

• I'd like support for Wave to be added too. Echoing what others have said, I think there should be an setting to manually whitelist specific browsers, like Wavebox.

I think that may largely defeat the purpose of having a whitelist. If a user can add to this list, what would prevent malware from doing so?

Doesn't 1Password officially support Safari?

Not with 1Password X, no.

And if it's not in the cards to build some system to whitelist specific browsers, please consider whitelisting Wavebox because, like 1Password, it's also a great piece of software.

For us to whitelist a browser our security team has to keep up with their updates, reported vulnerabilities, etc, and frankly we simply don't have the bandwidth for that with the current team. As a company we are expanding, and hopefully that means we'll be able to onboard some additional security folks as well. So the answer isn't necessarily "never," but it is "not right now."

Ben

• GregBeaver
    GregBeaver
    Community Member

I would also like to say that adding support for the extension to wavebox would dramatically improve my day. For example, to add this comment, I have to create an account. To do that, I have to manually make an account in the desktop app, then copy/paste everything in. It works, but it's clunky.

What 1Password is implicitly encouraging is using less secure passwords for the main repo. I chose one that takes me about 10 seconds to type at very fast speeds. Having to type this multiple times in a day is a no-go. If I am forced to do this, I would change it so something much shorter and less secure.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @GregBeaver! :)

• lordkev
    lordkev
    Community Member

@Ben I don’t buy this reasoning at all.

That’s like saying “Well, if a user can access all of their passwords stored in their vault then what’s stopping malware from accessing them?”

If a user had to be authenticated with the 1Password app to manually whitelist a browser it seems like that would be enough, no? How about a system where 1PasswordX generates a code that is entered by the user into the app to whitelist that particular browser? This seems to work just fine as an authentication scheme for an untold number of other apps out there.

I feel like everyone there is making this out to be an impossible ask, but it’s not. If a system is built, I as a user am happy to be responsible for any apps I authorize. I’m a big boy.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @lordkev ,

I'm sure that you will be happy to be responsible for your whitelisted apps and you are probably tech savvy enough to do so properly and responsibly. Maybe you even read all the end-user-agreements before hitting that "Accept" button when you install new software or join new services because you're that responsible - but the vast majority of users aren't, and that puts their safety in our hands.

Most users often just approve and accept anything just as long as it will get their workflow going forward as fast as possible, which is why we took it upon ourselves to make sure our apps only allow trusted 3rd parties to connect to them. If we add such a feature, be sure it will be used poorly by users who have no idea what they are doing and just wanted to get something to work, and it won't take long before we start getting complaints and negative reviews about how 1Password lost their data to a malicious app.

Our number one priority here at 1Password is security, and that means we need to protect our users data from everything, including from us as a company, and even from themselves. We protect users from us as a company by not storing or knowing your Master Password and Secret Key, which means only you can access your data. We protect users from themselves by not adding features that might jeopardize their data, and that means saying "No" to a lot (and I mean a lot!) of feature requests, which is a really a hard thing to do because most requests sound reasonable.

As Ben mentioned, we're in the process of expanding, and perhaps that will allow us to consider adding further support for browsers in the future. I do hope that will happen but until then we'll just have to hang on and use the current options available, such as 1Password X or dragging and dropping fields from the desktop app into the browser.

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

Would really like to see Wavebox fully supported by 1Password extension too.

This is not just "another chromium based web browser", but one that makes working with tons of web apps and multiple logins/profiles (like several GSuite accounts) a breeze. You guys should really try it out yourself and see that it is indeed very special.

Thank you for the support on this!

• 1Password X is likely to be the way forward for Wavebox for the foreseeable future. In speaking with our development team we do not currently have plans to evaluate or add signatures for additional browsers to 1Password for Mac at this time, which is what would be required for Wavebox to work with the "1Password (desktop app required)" extension. User customizable code signatures are also not on the radar. 1Password X would be the best/only option.

Ben

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member

I fully understand that you want to be cautious on opening 1Password functionality to just any browser. Your effort are valued and appreciated.

The power of Wavebox has been mentioned multiple times in previous comments. I don’t have much to add. Wavebox may be a niche product at this time, and might might remain so considering the annual subscription one pays for it. But this also means that anyone using it is likely to have very good reasons to do so considering there are countless free simple browser alternatives. We are all looking for a productive environment and will choose the tools that help us most.

Just wanting to maken my voice heard hoping that eventually there will be enough of us to convince you...

• Hi @TwinTraveller

Have you tried 1Password X?

Ben

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member

Yes I am using 1Password X in combination with Wavebox. I'm happy that it's there as it's better than not having anything at all. However, it's far less efficient than the regular 1Password extension.

1Password extension:
    1. Navigate to login page
    2. CMD+\
    3. TouchId
    4. Enter

1Password X:
    1. Navigate to login page
    2. Shift+CMD+\
    3. Type password
    4. Select the entry I need (even if it is listed at the top)
    5. Enter

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TwinTraveller:

You don't need to manually type information in 1Password X: if 1Password X is unlocked, clicking on the login form will show you a dropdown menu with the correct account information automatically :)

You can see some screenshots of this here.

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member

What I mean is that in 1Password X, I need to type my 1Password password. I cannot use touch id as I do with the normal extension.. This is indeed only the case when unlocking, but this happens multiple times a day.
    Also, the fact that I need to select my password from a dropdown, rather than have it populate automatically is less productive.

• Thanks for the feedback @TwinTraveller. Touch ID would require communication with 1Password for Mac, so that's a non-starter at this point. Nevertheless, I've shared your feedback with the 1Password X team. :)

Ben

• virth
    virth
    Community Member

☝️ Would like to put in my vote for the whitelisting of Wavebox as well as mentioned in https://kb.wavebox.io/1password-extension/.

👋 thanks 🙏

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020

Hi @virth

We're not going t be able to support Wavebox in the 1Password (desktop app required) extension, but if you'd like to use 1Password in Wavebox you can use 1Password X. You would not be able to use the beta 'Desktop App Integration' feature with it, unfortunately.

Ben

• lordkev
    lordkev
    Community Member

FYI for those using Wavebox. Dashlane works just fine using TouchID to login when using their browser extension. It uses a pairing method between the extension and Mac app that is almost exactly the same as the method I suggested earlier in this thread that 1Password might implement to support 3rd party browsers - namely confirming a pin in both the extension and main app.

I haven't used Dashlane enough yet to decide if I'll make the switch, but considering how little consideration all of the user feedback in this thread has been given, I'm definitely considering it. Not a good look when a feature that's been made out to be a near impossibility works seamlessly without issue in a competing app.

• Not a good look when a feature that's been made out to be a near impossibility works seamlessly without issue in a competing app.

I'm not sure that's a fair representation of our position. It isn't impossible, but it isn't on our radar, and I'm trying to be up front about that. I'd rather be honest and say it probably isn't happening than lead people on.

If Wavebox + Touch ID is a killer feature for you, then a different app may better fit your needs. If you like 1Password X then it works fine with Wavebox.

Ben

• CHAriTyIen
    CHAriTyIen
    Community Member

Please add Wavebox support finally.

Using it 3 years already and all our organization is switching to it due to very good experience.
    It's Chromium based and supports the Chrome extensions natively now. It should not be difficult to do for you - it's just like Chrome inside. We have a team account at 1Password and would like to use these tools together.

And yes, Wavebox + Touch ID is also a killer feature, we also want to use the 1Password on Macbooks with Touch ID conveniently.

• Hi @pavelbrilliant

At this time we're not considering additional web browsers for the 1Password extension (desktop app required) extension / 1Password for Mac. 1Password X is compatible with Wavebox and will be the supported method of accessing 1Password data in that browser for the foreseeable future. It is possible that in the future it would be feasible to add Touch ID support to 1Password X without having to modify 1Password for Mac, though I haven't heard of anything like that on the horizon.

I'm sorry to not have the answer you were hoping for, but I hope 1Password X will be a workable solution for you.

Ben

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member

TouchId support with version 2.0 is brilliant! I know it's been asked a couple of times before, but are there any plans on supporting other Chromium browsers - Wavebox specifically?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• rnilsson
    rnilsson
    Community Member

Is there any update on integration with the desktop app through Wavebox on Mac with the new 1Password web (2.0) that was just released?

• Hi @rnilsson

Similar to the restrictions with the 1Password Classic extension we do not plan to support any additional browsers for the shared lock state feature with 1Password 7. 1Password in the browser should still be able to work in Wavebox independently of the 1Password 7 app.

Ben

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey guys, thank you all for the valuable feedback here, it is much appreciated and we're constantly re-evaluating our roadmap and goals as we continue to receive such feedback on any topic that users bring up.

Currently, we are very keen on completing the current roadmap as is to achieve our main objectives for this year. I cannot reveal much about it except that you should keep your apps up to date and stay tuned.

I can tell you that for now, we do not plan on adding support for additional browsers unless a browser becomes mainstream, regardless of which browsers we added (and experimented with) in the past. Vivaldi being one example - in which their beta version already contains a different code signature that will not be supported, so its days are probably numbered.

Although the desktop app can only connect to specific supported browsers, 1Password in the browser will still work on any Chromium based browser for users such as yourself. That did not exist up until 2-3 years ago and we are glad that we were able to accommodate this feature in its current form so that everyone will have a solution, even if it is a different one from how other supported browsers work.

I understand the frustration for users who are loyal fans of specific niche browsers and I apologize for the inconvenience.

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member

Tom from Wavebox here, our customers keeping reaching out to us to say that 1Password has opened up to more 3rd party browsers (https://1password.community/discussion/117593/can-can-we-expect-the-whitelist-for-the-sidekick-browser-and-its-1password-chrome-plugin).

Given all the activity on this and other threads about Wavebox, could we pick things up again to have the Wavebox app signature blessed by 1Password?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

Hey Tom,
    Thanks for reaching out again!

I see that you've reached out in multiple channels so we'll keep conversing via email. :chuffed:

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

For me, the current 1Password extension seems to work generally with Wavebox and I'm able to use it to login to my various accounts. The one disadvantage I run into is that it doesn't support the recent macOS updates that would allow 1Password to unlock with TouchId or an Apple Watch notification. I really like that in my other browsers, so please include me as a "+1" for supporting this in Wavebox. Thanks!

• @alanhoyle

Thanks for chiming in! We're glad to hear that, for the most part, 1Password is working well in Wevebox for you. I'll be sure to add your name to the list of users who would like to see integration supported for this browser. :)

• lordkev
    lordkev
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

It’s frustrating that after so many people requesting Wavebox, Sidekick gets added with a much less active thread. It really seems like AgileBits is simply playing favorites here. Maybe one of the 1Password devs uses Sidekick…?

This discussion has been closed.