UI Did Not Confirm Master Password Change; Master Password Changed And Can't Unlock

jmouradianaxon
jmouradianaxon
Community Member

Earlier today, I was using my individual license of 1Password 7.5. At one point, I tabbed into the wrong window when entering my Master Password, and part or all of my Master Password was entered into another UI. As a security precaution, I decided to update my Master Password from within the app.

I entered my old Master Password, then my new Master Password into both UI boxes after writing it down and building a system for memorizing it. On clicking the "change password" confirmation button, I received no response, multiple times, on multiple clicks. There was no confirmation for this several times. I re-started the flow and attempted numerous times, never with a successful UI confirmation.

Eventually, I tried one last time, and my Master Password was not accepted. I assumed the update had succeeded. I received a notification that my password had been updated. I tried logging out and logging back in to the application again to verify success. I cannot get into the application. I've tried every likely combination of typo of my new password, which I've enumerated and am brute forcing to get back into my account. This computer is backed up frequently at my place of work; what are my recovery options here?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jmouradianaxon
    jmouradianaxon
    Community Member

I have gone digging for daily backups on my machine. The installation I have of 1Password does not appear healthy:

[MACHINE-NAME]~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper/Data/Library:
    10018 $ cd Application\ S
    cd: no such file or directory: Application S
    [MACHINE-NAME]~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper/Data/Library:
    10019 $ cd Application\ Support                                               ⏎
    [MACHINE-NAME]~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper/Data/Library/Application Support:
    10020 $ ls
    2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper
    AddressBook
    SyncServices
    iCloud
    [MACHINE-NAME]~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper/Data/Library/Application Support:
    10021 $ ls iCloud
    iCloud
    10022 $ file iCloud
    iCloud: broken symbolic link to ../../../../../Application Support/iCloud

• jmouradianaxon
    jmouradianaxon
    Community Member

It is possible I somehow fumbled a key or twiddled something while attempting to work my way through the password change flow on a subsequent attempt, or to get the unresponsive-looking application working.

However, having a broken UI during a master password change followed by opening a directory to broken symbolic links on my machine does not inspire my confidence in agilebits applications. Password management is too important a task for the experience I am having. I will be researching alternatives to 1Password after work today.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmouradianaxon! Welcome to the forum!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.