Unable to log my wife in on a family account

Options
aberkow
aberkow
Community Member

Hello,

I have a family account that I set up with my email address. Then, I sent an invitation to my wife at her email address. However, even with her email address, the master password, and secret key, I can't log her in on any platform.

The error I get is

Can't sign in.

SecretKeyIdOrFormatIsWrong: User's Secret Key ID (MFMFG2) or format (A3) doesn't match either response's Secret Key ID (HG6MFFF) or format (A3)

I would think that she and I would share a secret key, but perhaps that's wrong? As I understand it, the master password should be the same for both of us.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1.19.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aberkow! Welcome to the forum!

I would think that she and I would share a secret key, but perhaps that's wrong? As I understand it, the master password should be the same for both of us.

Every user in a 1Password Families account should have their own separate Secret Key and Master Password combination. You are allowed to choose the same Master Password if you want (which sounds like what you did), but the Secret Key will definitely be different. Your wife can see her Secret Key in her Emergency Kit .

If she uses hers instead than yours, she should be allowed to login without that error message.

• BallHawk45
    BallHawk45
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I'm having a similar problem getting my wife set up on a new Family account I just set up last night. You mention in response to @aberkow "Your wife can see her Secret Key in her Emergency Kit ." but...if she can't log in using HER email address and HER newly-created Master Password, how can she see HER Emergency Kit to get HER new Secret Key?

She accepted my invitation on an iPhone and during that process created her new Master Password, however- at no point during this invitation-accepting process on the iPhone did it give or show her a new separate Secret Key, nor did it pop up any kind of separate Emergency Kit for her to download. How is she supposed to get or see her own new separate Secret Key? Where can she find that? I DO see her listed in the People section of my Families account now that she has accepted the invitation and I have confirmed her. She cannot log into our Families account with her new Master Password because she does not have her new Secret Key - the only Secret Key either of us has is the one generated when I first created the Families account last night.

Essentially, the question is - when I invite someone to join my Family account, at what point during the invitation acceptance (and my subsequent confirmation) do they get their own Secret Key/Emergency Kit? Is there step-by-step documentation of the workflow for adding new members to a Family account?

Thank you for any additional information you can provide.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BallHawk45:

She accepted my invitation on an iPhone and during that process created her new Master Password, however- at no point during this invitation-accepting process on the iPhone did it give or show her a new separate Secret Key, nor did it pop up any kind of separate Emergency Kit for her to download. How is she supposed to get or see her own new separate Secret Key?

I think the Emergency Kit prompt to download the document doesn't currently appear on mobile devices, but it does if the invitation is handled from a desktop or laptop computer. If she logged into her account once to accept your invitation however, her credentials should have been kept in the same mobile browser she used to accept your invitation.

For example, if she opens Safari on her device and goes to https://my.1password.com, she should be prompted to login to her account using her Master Password only, and the Secret Key should be prepopulated in the login form, so she can login from there.

Essentially, the question is - when I invite someone to join my Family account, at what point during the invitation acceptance (and my subsequent confirmation) do they get their own Secret Key/Emergency Kit?

Specifically, the prompt appears the first time the member logs into the new account, which happens right after choosing and entering their Master Password. I think mobile devices don't show this prompt because it's not as easy to download and store a document on a mobile device as it is on a computer.

• joeymac
    joeymac
    Community Member
    Options

Just went through and did a recovery for my wife. She can sign in on the browser but not on her app on her computer. If she has reset the password and can log in on the web shouldn't she be able to log in on the app on her computer?

• Ben
    Options

@joeymac

It is possible for the 1Password application to use a different Master Password than her 1Password account Master Password. In particular if the "Primary" vault is not deleted as it should be after migrating to a membership then the app will continue to need the password for that vault in order to unlock. If all of her data is available to her at https://my.1password.com then the app can be reset, which will delete the legacy "Primary" vault, and she can sign into her account. To do so select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data from the 1Password menu bar in the 1Password app.

Ben

• joeymac
    joeymac
    Community Member
    Options

It was just a password reset as my wife cannot remember passwords and I am struggling to get her to even use 1password. When we reset the password I could never get in to the app. Your last instruction above worked so I am good to go. Thank you very much!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.