Creating new logins in 1Password for iOS

cbmackay
cbmackay
Community Member
edited December 2011 in iOS
1Password for iOS suggestion

Something that 1Password for iOS is sorely lacking in this era of iDevices as peers of (rather than subordinates to) Mac OS X & Windows is solid password generation and capture from a web page. Yes, I can create a new login by filling in a form in 1Password on my iPad, but it's a manual process; turned on its head from the relatively intuitive process on the Desktop. It involves either using copy-and-paste (a process which, believe it or not, I've seen seasoned users of iOS devices who are either completely unaware of or who are utterly frustrated by the tap-hold-slide-select skills required) or remembering and then typing URLs and usernames without error. In other words, even I don't bother despite finding it easy (yet annoying); I do it on my Mac where it's simpler. This is where you're loosing users who grasped the need and bought the product.

An instance of Safari is already built-in to 1Password, but it's not possible to load up a URL (as opposed to a saved login), visit a site you want to create an account on and then have 1Password generate and auto-save the login info. This process is so daunting to new users -- and I'm evangelizing 1Password constantly -- but the idea of doing it so differently from the way it works on the desktop results in blank stares. It's a bridge too far. For users who are already skeptical of trusting software they don't fully understand with a process that's uncomfortable, it's often the last straw that, ironically, sends them back to their comfortable, old habit of using one or two lame-assed passwords everywhere. After all, they understand it, and it's never bitten them (despite all the fear-mongering they suspect our reasoned pleas amount to).

So unless I'm missing something fundamental about 1Password for iOS -- and I really hope I am -- I hope this is addressed soon.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback, cbmackay. We are working on some major improvements to 1Password for iOS. We appreciate knowing what is important to you as it helps keep us on track as we move forward with development.

When 1Password for Mac was first developed, the iOS did not even exist. Then we added 1Password for iPhone which was supposed to be more of a companion to the desktop app. The iPad still was not in existence at this time, but when it debuted we had 1Password ready for it. The landscape has been slowly shifting, and we are working (behind the scenes so far) to improve 1Password for iOS to match the way people are now using their devices.

For now, you are correct, the best way to save new Logins is on a Mac or Windows computer and then sync them to your iOS device(s). It is becoming more and more common for folks to use an iPad (or even iPhone) as a primary computing device. We are taking this into account as we work on upcoming releases to 1Password. I don't have anything to announce at this time, but please keep an eye on our blog, Twitter, and Facebook for news as it is available.

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.