Alfred not working with 1Password

Gillr
Gillr
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello,

I realised this afternoon that 1Password items are no longer opening and auto-filling in Chrome via Alfred.

I've tried a few things:

• updating Chrome/Alfred/my extensions
  • Restarting my computer
  • different profiles in Chrome
  • uninstalled are re-installing both
  • ... 1Password X Beta extension (my usual extension due to Mac app connectivity)
  • and
  • ...1Password X extension

I've recorded my screen trying to login to twitter https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f7v63qowfrvsgi/Alfred+1Password.mp4?dl=0
You can see Alfred actually brings the. 1Password App in to focus but then nothing happens.

Is this a 1Password bug? And Alfred is fine? Or Visa vera

Is anyone else using Alfred to fill passwords? Are you facing this issue, is this a known bug? I think it's been happening for a few days, but I've only just 2 and 2 together this afternoon.

Thanks for the help, Rob

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6.BETA-2 (70600002) 1Passwor
Extension Version: 1.20.1
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: Family Account

Comments

• Hi @Gillr

I believe Alfred requires the 1Password extension (desktop app required) instead of `1Password X.

1Password extension (desktop app required) - Chrome Web Store

Ben

• Gillr
    Gillr
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @Ben !

It's been working with the X beta though? The weird thing is that it still sometimes works and other times it doesn't.

Your support team told me to stop using the (desktop app required) version many months ago, I was having issues with multiple profiles in Chrome. So I'm reluctant to move back to that.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Can I add to this - I have also posted on the Alfred forum.

Is it possible that there is a conflict between the 1Password Browser Extension and 1Password X that results in this bug?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@HRD:

Do you currently have both extensions installed and active in the same browser?

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

I do in Chrome and Firefox but obviously not in Safari.

Is this what is causing the bug?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@HRD:

It is possible that this is somehow interfering with the process. Do you see the same issue if you temporarily disable one or the other extension in Chrome, and try using Alfred when only one extension is active?

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

I will try this and revert.

Just to be clear - I do not need both extensions, just one in each browser? Furthermore, what are the plans for 1Password X to be made available in Safari?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@HRD:

I will try this and revert.

Sounds good, thank you!

Just to be clear - I do not need both extensions, just one in each browser?

That is correct :+1:

Furthermore, what are the plans for 1Password X to be made available in Safari?

We currently don't have anything to share, but it's certainly something we would like to do :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Noted with thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

I think I may have cracked the issue.

1. I disabled 1Password X and left 1Password Browser Extension enabled, which eliminated the bug.

2. I then enabled 1Password X but disabled the 1Password Browser Extension. However, by doing this the interface with Alfred is lost.

I have therefore concluded that if Alfred is used to interface with 1Password, the first option should be used.

Perhaps you would wish to comment further and let me know if my conclusion is correct?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@HRD:

I think you are correct: you need either the companion browser extension for Alfred, or 1Password X beta. This seems to confirm your findings :+1:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Thanks for the confirmation. I intend to link the post to the Alfred forum and see if they anything to add.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Gillr
    Gillr
    Community Member

I actually fixed this and Alfred now works fine with 1Password beta and the X beta extensions (therefore I assume it works with the non-beta versions too)

I downloaded the 1P troubleshooting app:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac&src=bitbot

Ran all the checks... lil mac restart and it worked!

My theory of what's causing this is that I have multiple Chrome profiles, each with the X beta extension installed, and 1P trips up when I switch between them sometimes. No evidence to back this up :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you too for taking the time to share this information with the community @Gillr! I am glad you managed to find a way to make this work with 1Password X too :+1:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana @Gillr

See the updated thread on Alfred's forum.

As I have indicated there, I am still unable to get this to work.

My further conclusions are that 1Password needs to either set out clear and simple instructions on how Alfred integrates with 1Password X or develop a solution so it does.

In addition, 1Password X needs to be made available for Safari. For example, on my desktop, I have Chrome as the default browser but on my Laptop, Safari. The reason for this is that Safari consumes less power than Chrome.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@HRD:

Are you running 1Password X beta and 1Password for Mac beta? From the conversation you had on the Alfred forum:

At this point, Alfred only officially supports reading metadata from the native 1Password Mac app with its 3rd party integration enabled. If 1Password X had a 3rd party integration output (I don't believe it does), and places it in the same location as the native Mac app, it's likely Alfred will be happy with this too.

Desktop app integration is currently only available in 1Password X beta and 1Password for Mac beta.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Yes to both questions. But as I said I can't get this to work, so please offer easy to follow step-by-step instructions.

Thanks,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@HRD:

Have you tried the suggestions posted by Gillr here already? They worked for him, so I would like to know if they work for you too.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Also, you did not mention this so I thought I'd confirm: it might also be worth making sure that you actually have desktop app integration correctly enabled, and that under 1Password Preferences > Advanced tab, the option Enable Spotlight and 3rd party app integrations is enabled.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

I already said I have attempted what has been suggested with negative results.

Yes, of course I have the integrations enabled.

I'm a beta tester, so give me some credit!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Got it, thank you for the confirmation @HRD!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

The 1Password X logs might also be useful.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Due to obvious time difference between us, I will do as you ask Wednesday my time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good :+1: :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

I have sent the diagnostic report. Subject "HRD diagnostics report".

I did not receive a ticket number.

• Thanks, @HRD.

I did not receive a ticket number.

Your ticket number is SQJ-59818-686. It appears it was not sent initially as your diagnostics were addressed to support@1password.com instead of support+forum@agilebits.com. But no worries, I see the team has routed your message appropriately. We'll continue by email.

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

That was because the email sent to the address you quoted bounced.

• @HRD

Could you please forward us that bounce to the support@1password.com address so we can have our ops team investigate? You can mention my name "Ben Woodruff" in the subject line, and it should be routed to me.

Thanks!

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Done as instructed.

This discussion has been closed.