1Password desktop app crashes, "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working"

I am seeing some real problems lately with the Windows Desktop app. I normally use 1PasswordX for day to day password filling, but much prefer the desktop app for creating logins. Lately, whenever I log into my Windows box, I immediately get error "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working". If I click past the error, I find I cannot launch the app most of the time. And, at intervals, I will continue to get the error even if I'm not trying to use 1Password. I have tried uninstall / reinstall of 1Password and I have tried rebooting the Windows box. The Windows box is pretty fresh, and no other symptoms of problems with any other program. I am fully patched as of this writing. I was able to launch it once and get diagnostics .zip but hesitant to post that unless directly to support.

I notice that I get the same two errors in the Windows event log each time when 1Password crashes.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Level: Error
User: N/A
OpCode: Info
Task Category: (100)
Keywords: Classic
Faulting application name: 1Password.exe, version: 7.4.767.0, time stamp: 0x5e9dd63f
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.329, time stamp: 0xa2224bb6
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00129862
Faulting process id: 0x2788
Faulting application start time: 0x01d644b3455fc4b5
Faulting application path: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: b601c019-1d87-46a8-9e32-34c9969287b3
Faulting package full name:

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Event ID: 1026
Level: Error
User: N/A
OpCode: Info
Task Category: None
Keywords: Classic
Application: 1Password.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at Opw.EventReporting.SaveOfflineEvents(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.Exception>)
at Opw.EventReporting.CurrentDomain_UnhandledException(System.Object, System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs)

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.19.2 (native app ext not installed)
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro N, version 2004
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Hi @Ender519,

Thank you for reaching out and thank you for providing details! They are really appreciated.

I will ask my team to take at the errors that you see on your side. In the meantime, could you please try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and see how 1Password behaves in there? Does it crash in Safe Mode?

You can also try to run .NET Framework Repair Tool to see if it finds any errors on your computer.

Let me know what you find. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: LZA-22742-867

• Ender519
    Ender519
    Community Member

1Password works reliably in safe mode w/ networking, no errors. Tried the .NET Framework Repair Tool and it suggested that I reregister windows installer service, and restart windows installer service, both of which I did. There were no further findings.. and fresh reboot under normal Windows mode, I again see the error.

• Although it's not a total guarantee, @Ender519, working in Safe Mode generally means that we're looking at some variety of third-party interference. This means we probably should take a look at those diagnostics. Definitely don't post them here, but go ahead and send them to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread just to close the loop in case someone other than Greg or I comes across them. If you can also include a list of any recently installed apps or programs (if any) that roughly coincide with starting to see this issue, that would be helpful as well. Could just be an update to something else that led to some bad interactions, but new stuff is generally the most likely culprit so worth looking at first. If you let us know when you've sent them over here, we can often take a look a bit quicker, so that can be helpful as well. We'll take a look and see what's what. Thanks! :+1:

• Ender519
    Ender519
    Community Member

I did send the diagnostics over email. Thanks!

• Ender519
    Ender519
    Community Member

As far as new programs, I did go through the list of installed programs and it's just updates. There were a couple of photo duplicate remover apps I briefly tried from MS Store recently but that was after the problem started. I want to say update of Windows Feature version may have caused it.

• Thanks so much, @Ender519! I did find your diagnostics and we'll take a look just as soon as we can. :+1:

ref: LZA-22742-867

• Camellochapin
    Camellochapin
    Community Member

I started experiencing the same issue in the last two weeks... and last one just happened now. It seems to be a random event, with no direct relationship with a specific action on my end. I've generated the diagnostics file and I also have a copy of the log file for today. Please let me know how to proceed or how to help you guys troubleshoot the issue. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Camellochapin:

Thank you! Have you sent us the diagnostics via email already at support+forum@agilebits.com? Let me know if you have received a ticker number and I will link it to this forum discussion :+1:

• Camellochapin
    Camellochapin
    Community Member

I will send it right away...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @Camellochapin :) :+1:

• Camellochapin
    Camellochapin
    Community Member

@ag_ana this is the ticket number I got assigned for this issue: [#UYJ-29164-778]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Camellochapin:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: UYJ-29164-778

This discussion has been closed.