1Password Mini suggestions weirdness in 7.6.BETA-3

hazmat
hazmat
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

In Beta 3, I see that Suggestions in 1Password Mini are for the app in focus. Is this functionality in progress? In its current state, it often makes no sense except for in a browser.

Thanks.

-Ken

1Password Version: 7.6.BETA-3
Extension Version: 7.6.BETA-3
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @hazmat

This is working as intended. We have a thread about it here:

How to associate a 1Password record with a specific Mac app? — 1Password Forum

:)

Ben

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. I see where you're going with this. Where I'm specifically noticing this is when logging into VPN for work. The password for that is the topmost entry in Favorites. How do I associate it with this?

• @hazmat,

you could try app://com.apple.usernotificationcenter and see if that lines up?

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member

Thanks, @rudy ! That worked.

• On behalf of Rudy you're very welcome. :)

Ben

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member

Hello again. The more I use this new functionality, the more I think it might not be the best idea as default. I think Suggestions is best for use in a web browser, but overall in the OS, I think a consistent list of items like before, along with app-related suggestions, would make the most sense. For most users, adding app-specific URLs to entries will likely be a daunting task, and by default they'll get nothing when they pull up 1Password mini.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hazmat:

I think a consistent list of items like before, along with app-related suggestions, would make the most sense.

Do you mean having a separate menu in 1Password mini, just for apps?

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member

@ag_ana Good question. I guess whatever was there before this change, when default was set to Suggestions? Was it what you see in the browser below the suggested items for that web site? Favorites, identities, and credit cards? I don't exactly remember, but I think those being persistent like in the browser is very handy. Also seems like a more consistent experience for the user. Suggestions and then the standard items. Does that make sense? I can ramble.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hazmat:

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying, but things should not have changed from the default Suggestions view. Only if you add an app URL to a 1Password item, that item is shown in 1Password mini when the relevant app is opened. Are you perhaps referring to keeping those suggestions in the list even when the app is not open?

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member

@ag_ana Sorry if I wasn't clearer. I just pulled it up on a laptop to remind myself of what 1Password mini pulls up when not in a browser and preferences are set to Suggestions. It showed Favorites and then everything below it. Not sure what's best, but showing nothing to the average user I think is a bad idea. Maybe show Favorites along with the app-based suggestion at the very least?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hazmat:

I see what you mean now, thank you! This is currently configurable in 1Password Preferences > Mini tab > "Open 1Password to". I think that the default was originally set to All Items, which caused a lot of confusion, so it was then changed to Suggestions. We can certainly keep an eye on this however, and see what feedback we receive :+1:

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member

@ag_ana Right. I think the default that makes the most sense for a browser plugin doesn't necessarily make the most sense elsewhere in the OS.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood :+1:

This discussion has been closed.