Save in 1Password not working

Save in 1Password in Chrome using 1Password X extension is not working. I will be on a create account screen and enter a new username and password. When I generate a new password, 1Password doesn't save it anywhere (and I can't remember a 14 character random password, sorry!). When I enter a new password and click "Save in 1Password" NOTHING HAPPENS! It won't save! I have to manually add the login in the web or desktop app. This is really annoying and I hope you have a fix for it. I really like 1Password and have been using it for years, but this is almost a deal breaker.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:save in 1password

Comments

• anna212
    anna212
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

I am having the same issue as @Goodman. New passwords are not saved in either the Chrome or Firefox extension. Clicking on the "Save in 1Password" button doesn't do anything. And there is no prompt, like there used to be, to save a new password or update an existing one.

I've been singing up for sites with the generated PW (realizing it wont' be saved), then using the "forgot password link." Then I have to sign in 1PW either in desktop or browser and create a new password. Then I go back to the site and use 1PW to fill the new password.

I have been having the issue for weeks, but I haven't had time to submit a bug report. (I think the first time I had this issue was April 29th) It is also consistent across Firefox and Chrome and happens on every site I have tried to signup for or change my password on.

This is such a big issue for I product that otherwise works great, I am actually surprised there are not more reports of this and a fix out already. I hope you can fix this soon!

MacOS: 10.13.6 (17G13033)
    Firefox: v. 76.0.1
    Chrome: v. 83.0.4103.61

Edited to add: I am using 1Password X v. 1.19.1 in both Firefox and Chrome.

Edit #2: None of the passwords I created during the past month were saved in the password history as described here: https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Goodman and @anna212! Thanks for the reports.

I’m thinking you may be running into an issue that we recently figured out. It was a bug where a setting that no longer exists in 1Password X was interfering. While the issue is fixed in the 1Password X beta, it hasn't been released to the stable version yet. Please give these steps a try in Chrome, and let me know if you see any better results:

1. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Manage extensions".
    2. Turn on the "Developer Mode" switch on the top right if it isn't already turned on.
    3. Click the "Background Page" link in the center of the extension's information page. A new window will popup.
    4. Click the "Console" tab at the top.
    5. Write this line in the console and hit Enter: localStorage.removeItem("devtools")
    6. Close the window, then turn off/disable the 1Password X extension in the browser, and turn it back on again.
    7. Unlock it and see if it now saves your new logins properly.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

• Goodman
    Goodman
    Community Member

Yep, that seemed to fix it for me! Thank you!!

I could be wrong, but it seems like it has been that way for several months. So glad there is a workaround.

• anna212
    anna212
    Community Member

@kaitlyn It worked for me too. Glad to have it working again! Is there a similar work around for Firefox? If not I will use Chrome as my default browser until it is fixed in the public release. Any idea when that will be?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Goodman and @anna212 – I'm glad to hear that worked for the both of you. We only caught wind of the issue recently, so I'm not sure about it being an issue for several months. Or at least it wasn't reported to us/I hadn't run into it myself.

@anna212 – You can also remove and reinstall the 1Password X add-on in Firefox, and you'll get the same results. The fix has already been released in the 1Password X beta for Chrome and Firefox. As far as the stable version goes, I imagine it'll be in our next release although I don't have a date for when it'll be pushed to production.

• anna212
    anna212
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Removing and reinstalling the extension in Firefox fixed the issue.
    (Note, in case anyone else has the same issue: turning disabling/enabling it not work. You have to actually uninstall it first.)
    Thanks for your help!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to hear that, @anna212! You're very welcome. :chuffed:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

I search for a solution and landed here in the forum because I am unable to save new login's. I assume all the comments above are for Apple computers. I am using a Windows 10 computer and using 1Password X in the new Microsoft Edge, where I understand there is no beta yet. Can you suggest a workaround for me? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@break80:

Have you tried the instructions posted by my colleague kailtyn above already? Are you getting stuck at a specific step?

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Yes I saw that. That only works for chrome. Edge does not seem to have developer mode, unless the option is selectable in a different place. Anyone know?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@break80:

In Edge, the developer mode switch is on the bottom left of the window:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Thanks. I know nothing about HTML but will give it a try and let you know what happens.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! Please let us know how it goes :+1:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

I made the change to 1Password X in Microsoft Edge. I opened PoolZoom.com, entered my information in the login page, and saved as a new login item. So far so good. I clicked the 1Password X login item and the login web page came up but it was not filled in like it does in the Chrome 1P app. I clicked the Email field of the web page and thankfully it filled in as shown, but it DID NOT log me in as 1P does with Chrome:

The Password field correctly shows my masked password and the 1Password X icon on the right side of the field. However, notice the Email field does not have the icon, and clicking on that field does not bring up the icon. Maybe this issue has something to do with the site I am logging into, or maybe it is a bug or a not-yet-programmed-item as I suspect. Clicking on Signin does log me in.

When I test all the above using Chrome with the 1Password app, mini, and extension, double-clicking the login in the app opens the website opens, fills in the login fields AND it logs me in. Slick! Is 1PX supposed to perform this easily? Is it time for me to drop Edge, obviously not ready for prime time, and take up Chrome?

I do not know if the unexpected behavior is true for other websites. I have only tested on PoolZoom and Amazon. 1P seems to work better on Amazon.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@break80:

Is 1PX supposed to perform this easily?

1Password X does not autofill your credentials, so the behavior you are seeing is normal.

However, notice the Email field does not have the icon, and clicking on that field does not bring up the icon.

It's possible that certain forms won't show the 1Password X icon inline, but in those cases you can try clicking on the 1Password X icon in your browser top bar directly. And it looks like that alternative method worked this time for that website ;)

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

I’m testing Chrome now using 1P, 1P Mini, 1P Extension. They are more mature in their development. Probably will drop 1PX.

Will those 3 1P’s work as well in Chrome based Edge?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@break80:

Certainly, if you prefer the companion browser extension to 1Password X, you will be able to fill your credentials that way if you prefer. At the end of the day, you can choose which option you like the most ;)

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

I noticed 1PX beta is available for Chrome too. Trying they now.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• kaas
    kaas
    Community Member

Wow finally a solution to this issue, I've been struggling with this bug for months now!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We're glad you found this solution @kaas :chuffed:

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I've been dealing this for a long time and have just been saving passwords to notepad and then transferring them to my 1p web page, quite annoying indeed. I'm not really excited to turn on developer mode. Hope there is a fix released soon.

• @ckp

If you'd rather not turn on developer mode (though to be clear: having to have it on is temporary, just so you can run the command) you could try the 1Password X beta. Otherwise, if all goes well, hopefully the fix will be in the next stable release.

Ben

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Ha, thanks Ben, I actually missed that step and for some reason only saw to enable dev mode and leave it that way.

• ag_tommy
    edited June 2020

@ckp

On behalf of Ben, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.