Feature Request: Search in Secure Notes

I have many passwords in secure notes but there is still no page search there to find information in note. Please make this feature available.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the forum, elf×3!

Can you help us understand why you'd store passwords in Secure Note items, rather than in Login items?

I ask because you can't use Secure Notes to log in to a site using the 1Password extensions for browsers, and you already can search Secure Note items in the main 1Password program.
  • elfelfelf
    edited December 2011
    I have many passwords not fo Internet, like credit card PINs, mobile phone PINs, also contact information, phone numbers etc. So I have a lot of info but I can't search within a note. Page search available in Mac version but not in Windows version. Ctrl-F is not working :)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Wallet items, Account items, and Software items?

They all contain fields that you can fill—even in non-browser UIs—using the auto-type feature. I think you'll find them much handier than cramming everything into a single Secure Note item that has to be searched.

For any items you feel simply have to remain in Secure Note items for some reason, consider creating a different item for each of them; that way, you don't have to search the content—you can simply search for the item with the content you want.

Again, though, I think you'll find most of them can go into other, more specific item types altogether.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, elf×3.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    elfelfelf wrote:

I have many passwords in secure notes but there is still no page search there to find information in note. Please make this feature available.

You *can* search in secure notes. Simply click "include notes and passwords in search" while the search bar is up (Ctrl+F)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Stefan, I was thinking perhaps elfx3 tried to edit a Secure Note item, place the insertion point in the text field, and press Ctrl+F.

If so, elf×3, you need to use the search function as designed.

To search Secure Note items:
    1. Select the Secure Notes vault (or the All folder).
    2. Press Ctrl+F.
    3. Enable the Include notes and passwords in search option.
    4. Start typing in the search field.

For important related information, see How do I work with the search feature? in the FAQ section of the user's guide.
  • Thank you!
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    We're glad to help, elf×3
  • steve_davis
    steve_davis
    Community Member

I also have a requirement to search notes. While I understand that it's possible to find the note by searching for it, I need to be able to open the Secure Note and search inside of the note itself for something. Something similar to opening the note and not only having the option to Edit or Delete, but also to Search. Or Edit the note and hitting Ctrl-F and having a Find Dialog.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@steve_davis, the instructions in comment #6 (http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/56287/#Comment_56287) still allow me to search the content of my Secure Note items.

Do you not find that to be the case?

This discussion has been closed.