I seem to have created a problem for myself in setting up our Family account.

StanClark
StanClark
Community Member

Hi. We've had 1Password for many years and I've recently switched us to the "Family" plan. We are an Apple family both with Macs, iPads and iPhones in various models. On our iOS devices I have Version 7.5.3 loaded. On our Macs I have 1Password 7.5 (7050003) loaded. I also have Google Chrome with the 1Password X Version 1.19.2 for the browser. Two different problems have arisen:
1. I have one password for my Mac version and a different password that works on the iOS version and the Chrome version. Associated with that is that
2. These see different values. Actually they all see one, but the Mac version on my machine sees more. These need to be combined, cleaned up and then shared with my wife.
Help... Please!!!

1Password Version: iOS 7.5.3, MaxOS version 7.5
Extension Version: Chrome 1.19.2
OS Version: Mac 10.15.5, iOS 13.5.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Trying to get organized as a "Family" membership

Comments

• Hi @StanClark

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. It sounds like you haven't completed the migration to 1Password Families. To confirm if that's the case, can you please check each of your devices and see if any of them have a vault called "Primary" on them? If so, then the migration isn't complete. I suspect that 1Password for Mac still has a "Primary" vault. Please let me know, and we can go from there.

Ben

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

So on my machines, you are correct only my Mac v7.5 has the Primary vault. However my wife's devices do seem to have the Primary vault. My iOS devices and Chrome do not have Primary.

• Gotcha. Thanks for confirming Stan. Fortunately that should be a fairly easy fix. In 1Password for Mac on your Mac please use the vault switcher (at the top left of the app) to switch to the Personal vault. Then, select Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account. This should copy any standalone vaults you have, including the Primary vault, into your membership. The contents of Primary will be copied to Personal, and then any other vaults (if applicable) will retain their existing names. You can do this same action on your wife's devices. At the end, you should no longer have any Primary vaults on any devices.

Please let me know when you get to that point and then we can talk about sharing. :) If you have any questions along the way I can help with those as well.

Ben

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

Done. Now I have the same 5 vaults on each of my devices (each flavor of 1Password). They are all under "Clark Family" which is shared. I will note that I really only want three of these, there seem to be two vaults that are duplicates of each other.
    Now my wife's devices need to be synced appropriately and I need to carefully remove the duplicate vaults. (Maybe in the other order?)

• Now my wife's devices need to be synced appropriately and I need to carefully remove the duplicate vaults. (Maybe in the other order?)

Indeed; I'd clean things up before sharing with your wife. :+1: In 1Password for Mac you can sort your view by 'date modified.' If you take a look at the vaults you feel are duplicates, while sorting by date modified, do they appear to have the same contents, in the same order? If so then it doesn't really matter which you delete. If one has items which have been modified more recently, then that would be the one to keep.

Your wife should do the same thing we did on her devices: make sure she is signed into her account within the family membership, and then use the option in the 1Password clients to migrate her data.

Once you're down to just the vaults you want you can learn about how to share vaults with your wife here:

Create and share vaults

Ben

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

Ben, thank you again. I have gone ahead and "cleaned up" the - now three - vaults in my domain. And my wife's has been cleaned up too. However, yesterday before I came online here I seem to have used my my master password to register a new version of 1Password on some of her devices. Thus she seems to have both her 1Password vault but also all of our shared vaults - including one that I didn't intend for her to have for security reasons. At this point I believe I need to reinstall 1Password on all her devices, and plug her into "her" data. Then I can invite her to share two of the three remaining vaults per your link above. Does that make sense? I'm looking for clarity on how to proceed here. (I think what I did yesterday was share a scan code and the master password when installing stuff on her new MacBook Air.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@StanClark:

On these devices you mentioned, what account do you see if you open 1Password and go to Preferences > Accounts tab? Is it possible that you logged into her 1Password apps with your account?

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

That may have been the problem. Not sure. Didn't have the "critical" device since it was in use so I couldn't check. On two other devices I ended up loading fresh copies of 1Password 7 (an old MacBook Air and an iPhone). Now I'm trying to understand the best way to load her data and our shared data as a fresh start. She has her personal 1Password data, apparently from version 6, in Dropbox. I can get to that and now the necessary password. But what is the best way to proceed so that she has her personal data and the data I'm trying to share with her? She doesn't have a "stand alone" 1Password7 license.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@StanClark:

She should move her items from the Dropbox vault to her 1Password account, so she can have everything in one place.

I recommend doing this from a computer where you already see her Dropbox vault: in that 1Password app, add her 1Password account to the app, and you will be able to move her Dropbox items from the Primary vault to her 1Password vault.

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

I looked at her two MacBook Airs this morning. The one from mid 2011 is running High Sierra 10.13.6. On this machine there is 1Password 7, it uses her login and seems to be pointing to an old vault that is her primary and an old vault that was our shared data. Both are in a shared DropBox folder. This instance is not yet registered and I can't go to Accounts or Preferences or anything. (Had an licensed copy that got deleted when I upgraded it to 1P7. Afraid to add family membership to this machine until I straighten out the second machine.)

Her second MacBook Air (13", 2020) is running Catalina 10.15.5 and 1Password7. It is registered on our family account and the account stays "Stan Clark" Subscribed. I don't want that either since it actually has her primary vault, our shared vault and two vaults (?) she shouldn't have.

How can I proceed with each of her machines? I want to have her machine point to her Primary vault and then share selected vaults out of the "Clark Family" vault. I can "nuke" 1Password on her machines (saving her data first) if needed. But what do I do to clean up this mess?

Also am I now confusing what a vault is? It seems on the 2020 machine she has a Primary Vault and then the Clark Family Fault, but there are three separate "vaults" within the Clark Family vault - are they also called vaults or something else? I think I'm having a language problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@StanClark:

This instance is not yet registered and I can't go to Accounts or Preferences or anything.

What happens exactly when you try to go to Preferences > Accounts tab?

Also am I now confusing what a vault is? It seems on the 2020 machine she has a Primary Vault and then the Clark Family Fault, but there are three separate "vaults" within the Clark Family vault - are they also called vaults or something else? I think I'm having a language problem.

They are all vaults. The only difference is that three vaults are inside the Clark Family account, while the Primary vault is on Dropbox. They are all vaults, the only difference is where they are stored, and what sync service you use to sync the data inside them.

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

The old Mac. When I pull up 1Password 7 on it, I enter my wife's password as the Master Password and ... oh something's changed. After my last post I couldn't close 1Password so I used Activity Monitor to force close it. I then closed all programs and did a system restart. Now I can go into Preferences where it was greyed out before. When I click on "Accounts" it says "Sign in to your 1Password Account.

It does display two vaults however. My wife's primary account which is in a file (or folder?) in DropBox. And as second shared vault which is in a different file (or folder) next to it in DropBox.

• Thanks @StanClark. If the goal is for the old Mac to be set up for your wife then it sounds like the next step would be to add her 1Password account in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts on that Mac.

Ben

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

This may be where I am confused. The old machine has a copy of 1Password 7 installed. When I open it with my wife's password I get a "Welcome" screen with a button to subscribe today. The program behind it has my wife's primary vault open as well as a second stand alone shared vault - which eventually I want to have "go away". So this clearly isn't yet a registered copy of 1Password - even though she had a registered copy on it for the last 9 years. Somehow I deleted the old copy of 1Password and need to register this copy. (I think.). But how do I do that using the Family subscription without making her an "owner" of the "Clark Family" Vault. I want us to use the Family plan, and for her to login normally using her password, see her vault and an updated "Shared" folder that will replace the Shared Vault she can see at the moment. I don't need to see her Primary and I want to keep "my" passwords to myself while also sharing the "new" Shared vault. How do I do that? If I go to Accounts without going through Preferences, it asks me to log into an account and sees only one account "Clark Family" to add. If I go to 1Password->Preferences->Accounts I get options to Scan Setup Code or Enter account details manually. I'm afraid if I scan a setup code she'll end up with all vaults (I think that's what I did on her new computer) but at the same time I'm not sure how to appropriately Enter account details manually.

• @StanClark

Each family member has their own unique credentials - email address, Secret Key, and Master Password. The sign-in address is the only bit that is the same for each family member. Each person's Setup Code contains the sign-in address, email address, and Secret Key. It does not contain their Master Password. To add her account to 1Password 7 on her Mac you'd need to either scan her Setup Code (e.g. from her Emergency Kit, or another installation of 1Password that is already signed into her account), or enter her credentials manually.

To be clear: her email address and Secret Key are different from yours, which makes her Setup Code different from yours as well. To add her account you need to enter her details, rather than yours.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

So I have gone into the "old" machine and the "new" machine. My wife now has a her own sign-on to the "Clark Family". So on both Macs she can sign into 1Pasword 7 with her login, and see her primary vault plus all three Clark Family vaults. So she can see everything. That makes me nervous because if she were to accidentally change some of my stuff that could be a serious problem.
    So she has 5 vaults available when she opens with her "old" password. How do I keep her from seeing my primary account?

• @StanClark

There shouldn't be a ''Primary" vault anywhere at this point. Primary would be a legacy standalone vault, not a 1Password membership vault. If Primary is still hanging around it should be deleted, after verifying its contents have been migrated to "Personal". If your wife is seeing your "Personal" vault that would indicate that she is logged in with your credentials and not hers, or you've at some point migrated the contents of your Primary vault into her Personal vault. Personal vaults can only ever be seen by the person they are associated with. Unless you've made her a Family Organizer, she'll only see:

1. Her own Personal vault [this is true even if she is a Family Organizer; organizers cannot see other people's Personal vaults]
    2. The built-in "Shared" vault
    3. Any vaults you've explicitly shared with her
    4. Any vaults that used to exist in her setup as standalone vaults that were then migrated to her account

Please try this:

1. Sign into your account at https://my.1password.com
    2. Open your Personal vault
    3. Create a new item and save it
    4. Have your wife sign into her account at https://my.1password.com
    5. Have her look in the Personal vault

Does she see the item you created in step 3? Please let me know.

Ben

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

So If I go into 1Password.com (as you specified) in my account I see a Private with 1,404 items, C's with 159 items, and Shared with 80 items. If I go into 1Password.com on her machine I see Private with 166 items, C's with 159 items, and Shared with 80 items.
    I then go into the 1Password App on my machine and get the same number as I did in the .com version.
    I then go into the 1Password App on my machine and her passwords don't work, I can only sign onto it using my Master Password. I go to 1Password7 -> Preferences -> Accounts and see two "Clark Family" accounts both with her name. But she doesn't seem to have anything in these vaults.

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

Oh - I forgot to add that I added something to my private vault (in .com) and it showed up in my app but it didn't' show up in her .com account - while nothing showed up in her app.

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

So the two .com versions seem to be functioning properly. It's just properly installing/configuring the app on her machine that seems to be the problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@StanClark:

I then go into the 1Password App on my machine and her passwords don't work, I can only sign onto it using my Master Password. I go to 1Password7 -> Preferences -> Accounts and see two "Clark Family" accounts both with her name. But she doesn't seem to have anything in these vaults.

I wonder if these are additional accounts that were created by mistake. Is it possible that while you were configuring your 1Password apps you ended up creating more accounts than you needed? This would explain some of the behaviors you are seeing?

Oh - I forgot to add that I added something to my private vault (in .com) and it showed up in my app but it didn't' show up in her .com account - while nothing showed up in her app.

This is normal: the contents of your Private vault are only visible to you. Other family members won't be able to see what you save in there, just like you cannot see what you put in their Private vault.

So the two .com versions seem to be functioning properly. It's just properly installing/configuring the app on her machine that seems to be the problem.

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from her Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• StanClark
    StanClark
    Community Member

So I did this for all four of our Macs and her iOS devices. [#LNC-78322-666] [#KUI-63736-262] [#XTQ-11652-885][#VKD-39312-571] [#IET-72941-718]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @StanClark! I managed to locate all your messages and I see that my colleague Corey has replied to you via email already. I have also added a link to this forum discussion internally so they know about the previous discussion you have had with us here in the forum :+1:

Please continue the conversation via email so we can help you get to the bottom of this.

This discussion has been closed.