Remove "reveal" option in shared passwords...

DaraghMac
DaraghMac
Community Member

Hello,

I have several teenagers in my house and they are extremely sociable so much so that they think its perfectly ok to share our password for Netflix etc with their friends, no malice in it they just don't see any issue with sharing it! We have our Netflix and other family shared passwords in a Family vault. My wife and I have read write permission and kids have read only but they can simply hit reveal and then write this down and share with friends as they have done several times. Short of removing the kids form the vault and changing the password, is it possible to not allow the reveal password function in these shared vaults? This way they can use it and auto fill only.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I wasn't able to find any thread in the forum. Also I and the family only recently started using 1password so we are all on the early slope of the learning curve.

Thanks,

Daragh.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @DaraghMac

I think this may be a problem that would best be solved by means other than technology. Our 1Password Teams and 1Password Business services do offer more granular permissions, including the ability to revoke the 'reveal' button, but for anyone who is determined and even a little tech savvy that is fairly easy to work around. If the password can be filled into a web form, it can also be retrieved from that web form. 1Password cannot prevent that. If you're determined to try a technological solution, then upgrading to 1Password Teams would give you that option, but frankly I think you'll only be frustrated further when one of the kids figures out a way around the restriction. It would also come at a relatively high cost if that is your only motivation to upgrade to a team from 1Password Families.

I'm sorry to deliver an answer that may not be the one you were hoping for, but I hope that information is helpful in formulating a plan.

Ben

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

would be great to still have this feature copied over to families to, will stop and make the younger family members think before sharing, and maybe even prevent a forced reveal, in difficult situations...
    and i, and we, know it can be compromised, but not overly easy, or quickly... which is why its there in teams (and other competition) managers..

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gadget78:

Thank you for your feedback!

will stop and make the younger family members think before sharing,

Could you please elaborate on this a little bit? Not being able to reveal a password does not mean that the item cannot be shared. I am curious to see how you imagine the feature could help block sharing exactly.

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

Just as the original posts @DaraghMac example, without the reveal it's much harder to 'reveal' and share to their "friend's" TV say....
    Of course we both know they could just 'copy' the password and DM the friend instead,
    and that having the "prevent reveal" option kinda gives a false sense of security. And if we don't trust the child we shouldn't trust them with logins etc....

but options are good, and children need to learn ! it does also give the child the 'excuse' that they cannot just reveal it to give away. (To a forced friend/acquaintance) and that they would need the other partys contact details etc with a log of them doing it, and it's much more if a conscious decision.
    Maybe we could revoke the copy function to, now that really would prevent most if not all easy sharing methods (I know there are still work around, but now it's up a level here)...

I Could ask what's the point of it in teams? and why is it deemed worthy there, and not families ? (where in families there's going to be a younger generation found more frequently)...

Cheers Mick...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood, thank you for the clarification @gadget78, this was useful :+1:

I Could ask what's the point of it in teams? and why is it deemed worthy there, and not families ? (where in families there's going to be a younger generation found more frequently)...

The idea is that there is a level of trust in a family that we cannot expect in a business setting. I would also imagine that there are some company regulations and policies that require more specific permissions in a business setting, so 1Password must provide more options.

But I should also say that a business account doesn't necessarily have to be used in a business setting: if you believe your family can benefit from the additional features found on business accounts, you can certainly upgrade. You also get access to all of the business features.

This discussion has been closed.