Feature Request: Additional Categories (Device, Key)

magnet
magnet
Community Member

Categories are great for organising types of passwords/secure/secure information. Additional categories provides greater flexibility to the user.

Additional Category - Device

Used for physical devices such as laptops, phones, memory sticks, printers and other equipment (so many devices have login passwords of some kind). Suggestion of fields to include: username, password, serial number, mac address, service code, model.

Use case: I have used server to store all these devices along with actual servers as the server category intended. The range of devices and quantity is prohibitive to sorting and accessing information. The range of devices stored here usually contains username/password along with disk encryption keys/passwords for bitlocker etc.

I believe a dedicated category for devices to differentiate from servers would be beneficial for many users.

Additional Category - Key

Used for Keys as in SSH & encryption keys. A new Key item would be pre-populated public & private key fields.

Presently Password is the go to category for such information, though in my use case, these have a name prefix to sort and identify SSH & encryption keys vs other generic passwords. I believe the separation of keys from passwords would be beneficial for many users, and particularly complementary with the other development/engineering centric categories.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @magnet! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your feedback about this. I will have to be honest with you and tell you that however we will probably not add any more built in categories to the app, because no matter how many we add, there will always be some more missing, and which some users would like to have. Instead, we are currently beta testing custom categories in our 1Password Business accounts. Depending on how that test goes, we might decide to extend the feature to other account types ;)

• magnet
    magnet
    Community Member

Fantastic, that's even better to hear. Is there a estimated schedule for when this feature will be out of beta testing and general availability? Additionally when it will be brought to other plan types?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@magnet:

We don't have any specific timelines at the moment (both on the end of the beta test, and about plans to extend this feature to other account types). I think we need more time to make sure everything works properly before we can consider releasing this feature, so we prefer not to make any promises yet :)

• magnet
    magnet
    Community Member

Thanks for the update. I look forward to it with anticipation

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.