How do I proceed with set up?

I think I downloaded 1password on my old Windows computer but don't know how to proceed. The computer was restarted. How do I go through the three steps now.? I don't know where to located the downloaded app..

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I think I downloaded 1password on my old Windows computer but don't know how to proceed.

Comments

• It's likely in your downloads folder if you downloaded 1Password but didn't install it, @Practical, but there's no harm at all in just starting from the beginning. An extra installer download isn't going to hurt anything. We've also got a more detailed guide to setting up your app here, if it helps:

https://support.1password.com/get-the-apps/?windows

And, of course, if you have any questions at all as you're getting started, don't hesitate to ask. :chuffed:

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Good afternoon. Thank you. I am a novice at this. I now have to figure out 'download' vs 'install' I will check the link that you sent. Thanks.

• Normally, @Practical, you'll download an app first. This is typically done via a link and your browser will let you know when it's done. Once downloaded, you need to run that installer by double-clicking it. That actually puts the app on your PC and sets everything up so that you can start to use it. That link should walk you through the whole process from downloading to installing and signing. But, if you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask. We're always here if you need an extra hand. :chuffed:

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Good afternoon. I am still trying to use 1password. It wasn't in Applications on my Windowscl computer. It see it on processes. I have a Master password, but don't know how to proceed. I am filling out a form that requires an app like 1password. When I go in the form it asks that I set up an app. I think I am just part-way with setting up the app. Could you assist me further?

• Ah, were you sent our way by login.gov, by chance, @Practical? If that's the case, I can definitely understand why you might be throw off. Login.gov wants you to have two factor authentication set up for your account there, which is totally one thing that 1Password does, but unlike many of the recommendations there, 1Password does a fair bit more than that too. 1Password is a simple, beautiful password manager. You can easily organize your secure information, save and fill passwords in your web browser, and have everything available at your fingertips. If you're interesting in taking advantage of everything it has to offer, we can totally talk about that, but let's start with what lead you here.

Let's take this one step at a time. If you see 1Password in running processes, try pressing Ctrl + Shift + \. That should bring up your desktop app. Let me know what you see when you do that (if anything).

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Yes, I am trying to complete application in login.gov.

1password is in Processes on my computer. Nothing is under Tasks, though, I saw it there before, and the status said "running". The actions of control+shift,+back slash, did not produce anything. I did that when I highlighted 1Password under Processes.

I, somehow, have 1password icon on my desktop. When I click on it, it asks for the password to unlock the vault. Is that where I should be?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Practical,

When you click 1Password icon on your desktop, it launches 1Password 7 application on your PC. Please try to enter your Master Password into the unlock window that you see when you click 1Password icon. Does it unlock 1Password? Here is how 1Password 7 looks like when it launches:

Do you see something similar? Please let us know. As for the login.gov, please check the following article on how you can use 1Password as an authenticator for websites with two-factor authentication (including login.gov):

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Let us know if you bump into any further difficulties, as we are always ready to help. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Good morning, Greg. Thank you. I will let you know how it turns out.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Practical: We will be looking forward to hearing back from you!

++
    Greg

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Hi Greg, It took me a while to get back to the computer. The 1Oasswod only desktop is labeled 1Password 4. When I click on it, 'Your 1Passwod vault is locked" comes up. I put in my password, and I see side headings " Favorites, Logins, Wallet, Accounts, Software, Secure Notes", etc. Headings on top are "Title, Location Type, Modified.". At the uppermost left-hand corner is:"1Password Trial'. I didn't see a screen like what you sent. Is the use of the old Windows computer a problem?

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Practical:

Thank you for the update! Using an old Windows computer might not be a problem, but it looks like in this case you are running an old version of the 1Password app. The screenshot that my colleague Greg posted above is from 1Password 7, but you are running the older version 4.

Just so we have all the information about your configuration, is there a specific reason why you are using 1Password 4 instead of the more recent 1Password 7? If you could upgrade to version 7 (you mentioned that you are on a trial, so you are allowed to do that), things would be easier :)

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Hi, Idon't know how I am on 1Password 4. Do I just delete everything and start again,? How would I know that I will be pulling up 1Password 7?

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Practical:

You can download 1Password 7 from our downloads page ;)

Once you have downloaded and installed it, you can login with your 1Password trial account credentials into the app.

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Hi. I clicked 1Passeord 7 for Windows. Got to the Menu page that says 'Download should start automatically. If not, click here.' At the bottom of the page is'1PasswordSetup-7.4.767.... When I click on it, it asks if I want to run. The file. When I try to run it, the response 'Entry Point not Found' ...could not be located in dynamic library. I must be missing something that I need to do on I my Windows Vista. What do I do now? I have my Master and Vault passwords.

Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Practical,

I am afraid you won't be able to use 1Password 7 on Windows Vista. Windows Vista is very old and it is not supported by 1Password 7. Moreover, Windows Vista mainstream support ended in 2012 and and the extended support ended in 2017.

Is there a particular reason why you are not in Windows 7 or Windows 10? Please let us know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Good morning, Greg. I never upgraded as I have been able to still use my laptop.

I just looked at a used laptop that I got, but never used. I see that it has Windows 7. I will try to use it, and will let you know if I encounter any problems.

Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Practical,

If you bump into any issues with 1Password on your Windows 7 laptop, please let us know. We are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Hi Greg, It doesn't seem as if I am getting anywhere with this. Probably I should just delete the entire account and start all over. I. accessing 1passeord on the 'new' laptop, it is asking to download NET Framework. Should I just start over as I haven't reached anywhere, except for my passwords and Secret key?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Practical,

Sorry for these ongoing troubles!

Your existing 1Password account has nothing to do with the app that you are trying to install on your computer. If you create a new account, you will see the same error while trying to install 1Password 7 app on your laptop.

Could you please specify the exact version of Windows 7 that you have on your laptop? Do you have all available updates installed there? Please let me know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Hi Greg, Now I am trying to do this on my Android phone. I opened the app from my home screen that I downloaded. I put in the information asked for, and got to the page that is still asking about getting the app. The page has All Items, Categories and Tags on the left hand side; Welcome to 1Password, etc, on the right side. I reached this same point as on the laptop. I am missing a step, right?

Thanks.

• bundtkate
    edited June 2020

I think it might help more if we moved this conversation over to email, @Practical. I think you're probably signing in to 1Password.com rather than the app on your Android device, but guessing is just going to make this harder on both of us and I think it would help if we could share some screenshot in a more private setting. Could you send an email to support+forum@1password.com and just include a link to this discussion in the body of the email? That will help us connect the dots between email and forum so we can hop in with some more detailed steps to help you get up and running. :chuffed:

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Thank you, Greg. I will do that.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Practical,

If you haven't sent your email yet, there is a small correction: please send it to support+forum@1password.com. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Practical
    Practical
    Community Member

Good morning, Greg. I haven't sent it yet. I am going to give it another try before seeking help again.

Thanks.

• @Practical

Understood! We will be ready for that report at anytime.

This discussion has been closed.