Trying to setup different vaults for separate users on a Mac Mini.

jmckible
jmckible
Community Member

Hi I've been using 1Password on my iMac for years. I recently switched to the Family Plan and I'd like to set up 1Password on a shared Mac Mini that my kids use. They each have their own user accounts and I'd like to set up 1Password for each such that they only have access to their Vaults. Right now they have access to every Vault though... which kind of defeats the purpose of even having separate Vaults. Do I have to go through the app on each user side and delete the Vaults I don't want them to have access to, ie: mine and my wife's? And does 1Password have "firewalls" on each user side so that if I delete a Vault on one users account it won't delete it on other user's accounts? Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version
Extension Version: 7.5 (70500003) 1Password Store
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6 (18G2022)
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020

Hi @jmckible

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'd be happy to help with that.

When someone creates an account within your 1Password Families membership a vault named "Personal" is automatically created for them. No one else can see this vault. The only way to see it is to be signed into the account it is associated with. Each account has a vault called Personal, but each of those is a different vault. Is everyone signed into their own account, or is everyone signing into the same account? In 1Password for Mac you can check this in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. If the email address is the same on each device/user, then they are all signed into the same account, instead of their own.

Please let me know.

Ben

• jmckible
    jmckible
    Community Member

Oh I see that only I have an account set up. So I guess I set it up on the Mac Mini only using that account... didn't realize each user (vault holder) needs their own account.

• Indeed: 1Password distinguishes between people by their account. All of these accounts can be within the same 1Password Families membership, but each person should have their own unique credentials for 1Password:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

If everyone is using the same credentials for 1Password, as far as 1Password is concerned, they're all the same person. :)

Ben

• jmckible
    jmckible
    Community Member

OK well I've already setup vaults etc. and installed 1Password on the Mac Mini previously. The instructions you shared are only for setting up new vaults. So how can I assign new accounts to existing vaults? Thanks

• @jmckible

So, there are a few things you'd need to do:

1. Reset the 1Password for Mac app wherever it is signed into the wrong account. This can be done with the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data option. This will reset the app to factory defaults (removing all data), but doesn't affect anything on 1Password.com. If data is visible on 1Password.com, it will not be deleted by this process.
    2. If you haven't already invited your family members to create their own accounts within your membership, invite them. This is covered under the "Invite your family" heading.
    3. Once your family has created their accounts, they'll automatically have their own Personal vault. Each account gets a vault named Personal that only that account can see / access. If you've created vaults for that purpose you may want to consider deleting them to avoid confusion / redundancy.
    4. You can learn about how to share any existing vaults (other than the Personal vault, which cannot be shared) with them in the "Share a vault" section of this guide.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• jmckible
    jmckible
    Community Member

OK I'll have to try this out later today. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Sounds like a plan. Let us know if you need any help along the way. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.