unable to change the secret key on the app on my Imac

earongino
earongino
Community Member
edited June 2020 in Mac

Hi, I am unable to update my secret key on the app on my Imac. I am able to login using the browser with the updated secret key, but the app won't let me change the key.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't change the secret key on imac app

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @earongino! Welcome to the forum!

but the app won't let me change the key.

Can you please elaborate? What happens exactly when you try to change the key? Do you get an error message perhaps? Or is the button not clickable? Something else entirely perhaps?

• earongino
    earongino
    Community Member

Hi, i got to preferences - account tab where I see all my information such as sign-in. address, email address, secret key, change master key password. However, on this view it is showing the old secret key, so when i click on the sign-in address and it opens the browser the new and updated secret key is displayed and I am able to login without any issues. But the desktop app is still showing the old secret key. Obviously that needs to be updated, but how? I hope that explains it a little better. TY

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@earongino:

Thank you for the clarification! That helps :) After you changed your Secret Key, the 1Password app should have prompted you to enter your new credentials. Did this not happen to you? Or is it possible that you dismissed the authentication prompt the first time?

• earongino
    earongino
    Community Member

I did not get the prompt to enter the new credential, but of course it is possible that i dismissed it. :/ What are my options at this point? changed the secret key in the browser?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@earongino:

If the Secret Key has already been changed in the browser, there is no need to do that again. The quickest way would be to reset your 1Password for Mac app so you can enter your new account information afterwards, including your new Secret Key.

• earongino
    earongino
    Community Member

I finally got in! I used my old master pw, it asked to verify that i had the correct credentials and was then able to enter the correct secret key as well as the new master pw. :) Thank you for all your help!

• On behalf of Ana you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.