Password saved, username not saved

I'm a new user putting 1P through its paces before committing. There seems to be plenty that is not intuitive about the processes.
For example, using the App-dependent browser plugin, it's not uncommon to get a PW saved without the username attached.
Consider Dropbox.
It's a single page login (no sequential steps involved)
After entering credentials, I was prompted to save new login
So far so good. Click Save Login.
Review in 1password, no username is saved.
The two steps are shown in the screenshot.

I logged out and logged in again - but there was no prompt to update existing even though there's obviously missing info.
Deleted, repeated, same result.
Where have I or the process gone wrong?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iUUi! Welcome to the forum!

I have just tested the Dropbox website, and after 1Password prompted me to save the new account (using the same popup you see in your first screenshot), I checked the account information and I saw both username and password correctly captured in the Login item.

What browser is this happening with?

• iUUi
    iUUi
    Community Member

Hi there, thanks for your reply.
    It's Firefox. (Thought that might be covered in the Extension version.)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @iUUi ,
    I also tested Dropbox's login page (https://www.dropbox.com/login) with 1Password 7 and the app-dependant extension in Firefox on Windows 10 and it saved both the username and password for me. I'm wondering if perhaps there's a 3rd party interference here. Can you please try disabling all other extensions in your Firefox, then test again?

Also, when you save the login manually (using these steps: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/) does it save the username?

• iUUi
    iUUi
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

I went to dropbox.com, clicked 'Sign in' and got a url like shown below (and above - i.e. not ../login as you've used)
    I took this to be the default entry point.
    In fact at that URL you flip between Sign in and Sign up without changing address

There was only one other active extension (Ghostery). Disabled that, but same result.

Followed the save login manually. Also same result.

1passwrdX does save both user and pw, at least in Chrome, but it took me many attempts to realise that needed sequential saves for each.

(Incidentally, you've captured the trailing brackets in both your links above.)
    (Also incidentally, the 1P support desk 'Attach image' dialog does not show in Firefox, so I am running this enquiry in Chrome)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@iUUi:

That's the webpage where I tested this too, and it worked for me there, so it probably does not matter what login page you are actually using, as the process works on both of them.

If you open this Dropbox item inside 1Password and click on the Show web form details button, do you see your username captured there?

• iUUi
    iUUi
    Community Member

Yes, in fact it is. Hadn't seen that... novice here... how does that differ?
    But it still won't fill a username at login window.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional info @iUUi .

I can confirm the issue occurs when trying to log in via https://www.dropbox.com/?_hp=c , even though things work well on https://www.dropbox.com/login .
    The good news is that this page works well with the 1Password X extension, which means it will work well with the companion extension as well in the near future, as it inherits 1Password X's autofilling abilities.

In the meantime, the workaround is simple:
    1. Open the 1Password 7 desktop app.
    2. Select the dropbox login and click on "Edit".
    3. Add your email manually in the username field, then click on "Save".

That should allow 1Password to autofill both your username and password on that login page. Let us know if that worked.

• Clarkb286
    Clarkb286
    Community Member

I came across this post as I was searching the 1Password support forums, frustrated with the NUMEROUS issues I have been having with 1Password for months now. My current user environment is Windows 10 Pro (latest Insider update 20152) and Google Chrome (latest Dev Release, version 85). I just wanted to comment that your "workaround" - Yaron - "works around" one of the main reasons for using a password manager in the first place, that is, automatically saving one's credentials when one signs up for a new account online or automatically updating one's password when it changes for an account online! You're suggesting that the original poster open a SECOND Windows application (besides Chrome), search for the "Dropbox" website login entry in the user's vault (which will consist of a BLANK username associated with the user's password), MANUALLY type in the user name for the account (which happens to be an email address in this case), and then saving the login entry for the Dropbox credentials. THIS IS ABSURD! Not only does that process take MINUTES to complete and DECREASE productivity vs. increasing it (is increased productivity not one of the main goals of 1Password?), the user is prone to making errors during the process (such as misspelling or forgetting the email address that they used to sign up for the Dropbox account).

[Shameless plug] if your company would like to hire a develop who is clearly passionate about your product and would love the opportunity to help the company reach its full potential of producing the best password manager for both Mac OS X AND Windows, I'd be interested in the job. I have a B.Eng. in computer engineering from Vanderbilt University with ~5 years of experience developing software solutions which have included both Windows desktop applications and also web applications using various technologies such as ASP.NET, Perl, Python, Node, JavaScript, Angular, CSS, HTML, XML, JSON, TypeScript, REST, etc. I also have read a lot about developing Chrome extensions just in my spare time, and I could likely learn any knowledge gaps necessary to develop a basic Chrome extension from scratch and have it implemented in a week or two (just to give you an idea of how quickly I'm able to learn new technologies).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@Clarkb286:

I came across this post as I was searching the 1Password support forums, frustrated with the NUMEROUS issues I have been having with 1Password for months now.

Can you elaborate? We would love to help if you could clarify what these issues are exactly. Feel free to open separate discussions if you think they are not related to the Dropbox website.

You're suggesting that the original poster open a SECOND Windows application (besides Chrome),

No, you can do this within the browser extension too if you want, but doing it in the desktop app might be simpler ;)

You should also note that, however, neither I nor Yaron managed to replicate this specific issue on this website, which suggests that there might be something specific on this machine.

If you encountered issues with other websites, you are welcome to open discussions in this forum and we will be happy to test them and see if we can reproduce.

[Shameless plug] if your company would like to hire a develop who is clearly passionate about your product and would love the opportunity to help the company reach its full potential of producing the best password manager for both Mac OS X AND Windows, I'd be interested in the job.

Absolutely, we are always looking for bright people who are amazing at what they do. Please look at our open positions and you are welcome to apply to anything where you think you might be a good fit :+1:

• Clarkb286
    Clarkb286
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Issue

it's not uncommon to get a PW saved without the username attached. Consider Dropbox.

You wrote:

Can you elaborate? We would love to help if you could clarify what these issues are exactly. Feel free to open separate discussions if you think they are not related to the Dropbox website.

1Password sometimes - I can't quantify how often without testing, I just know that it's happened more than a few times; it may even happen frequently - saves a new login that includes a password without a username attached.

You should also note that, however, neither I nor Yaron managed to replicate this specific issue on this website, which suggests that there might be something specific on this machine.

Yaron wrote:

I can confirm the issue occurs when trying to log in via https://www.dropbox.com/?_hp=c

Also, the fact the same exact issue is being reported by 2 distinct users suggests that the issue is with the software (i.e. there's a bug in the code) and is not specific to the machine,...unless @iUUi is using a Lenovo ThinkPad T490 running Windows 10 Pro and using Google Chrome Dev 85, that is ;-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Clarkb286:

1Password sometimes - I can't quantify how often without testing, I just know that it's happened more than a few times; it may even happen frequently - saves a new login that includes a password without a username attached.

Understood, thank you for the clarification :+1: Whenever you find a website that doesn't behave as you expect, please feel free to always report the URL to us (either here on the forum or via email) and we can certainly investigate why that is happening, and if there is anything we can do so 1Password can work even on website that don't work out of the box :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@Clarkb286 I do appreciate your enthusiasm here, definitely do.

As ag_ana mentioned, we're always more than happy to help with website specific issues so do feel free to open new discussions as you find such problematic websites.

I also stated:

The good news is that this page works well with the 1Password X extension, which means it will work well with the companion extension as well in the near future, as it inherits 1Password X's autofilling abilities.

That means the issue has been fixed/improved already, but that fix has not reached the good old companion extension that you are using. I highly recommend you start using 1Password X (especially the beta version) as it updates more frequently, especially with autofilling enhancements and fixes. Check out the latest release: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/B5X

Furthermore, it is crucial to note that there are billions of websites, and each and every one of them is different. There's no way to get things 100% right and it is a 24/7 job to improve 1Password's autofilling logic and abilities. If a user reports a website that doesn't save/autofill properly and we can confirm it, then the information is being forwarded to our developers and is fixed/improved accordingly.

I do hope you'll apply for a position with us, such passion is always very appreciated here!

• iUUi
    iUUi
    Community Member

Well that grew legs and went for a run after I went away to look into it! Thanks for the response and discussion @ag_ana @Yaron @Clarkb286. I feel better that it wasn’t just newbie pilot error regarding the Dropbox credentials. Acknowledged there are millions of login portals out there, of all sorts of standards, but Dropbox is a pretty significant player though, so seems like a fair test of protocols!

Yes, the work around is simple, but laborious. I've got 5 pages logins in a spreadsheet that I'm trying wrangle.
    You know: Go to website; See if credentials still work; Delete account if possible; Otherwise upgrade PW quality; And optionally add to PW manager if I still care. So, the less mucking around the better!

Perhaps a csv batch upload would be better to just get everything in, and work from there. I see there's an upload capability, but I can't see a csv download option to generate a template showing required column labels. Can you point me in the right direction?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Hey @iUUi ,

I strongly recommend you record logins on their actual webpages using 1Password and not via csv import. 1Password does record some extra info and metadata that a csv does not contain, therefor it will have a much better chance at autofilling properly over an item that was imported from a csv file.

If you still wish to go for the csv file option: https://support.1password.com/import-mac/

• iUUi
    iUUi
    Community Member

Thank @Yaron , understand the caveat, I'm just looking for a quick way to work through the mess without being too concerned with autofill or even saving everything permanently.

That looks pretty Mac-focused. The windows app only seems to have 1PIF, Agile Keychain or OPVault import options?

And, how does one export from 1PW?
    I realise it's getting off-topic, but after asking this above it occurred to me it would be worth knowing before I commit ... in case the need to migrate arises.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I see, @iUUi .
    The 1Password for Windows app cannot import CSV, but your 1Password.com account in the browser can:
    1. Log into your account at https://my.1password.com
    2. Click your name on the top right and select "Import".
    3. In the options page select "Other" and drag your CSV file into the designated area.

To export logins from the 1Password app, simply highlight them, right click -> Export.

This discussion has been closed.