Resolving problems in 1Password 3.8 does not require a purchase from the MAS

Hi

Please help. Today (25th Dec) I received a popup from you informing me of the latest update (2.8.13). I duly updated as usual but the update was not working. The extension would not open and flagged a problem message that I could not read because the extension would not open. The main program opened but would not fill in passwords etc. Everything was working before the update. I worked my way through your trouble shooting guide including downloading your trouble shooting program. I went stage by stage though all the actions you recommend without success until I got to the action to Reset Launch Services and reinstall 1Password from iTunes. I followed this instruction and downloaded (3.9.2) which works but I have now been charged £20.99 by itunes for the program I already owned.

I can provide licence numbers and receipts from yourself and itunes if required

£20.99 is a lot of money to me, please assist ASAP.

Thank you in anticipation

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    Hi Seagull,

I am trying to read between the lines a little here. When you say iTunes I am assuming you are referring to the MAS. I will try to provide some background info before sending you to the new support channel.

Unfortunately looks like you downloaded the MAS version of 1Password when you should have downloaded directly from our site. The MAS version is sold exclusively thru the app store and we do not sell licenses for it. The app store version you purchased is linked to your iTunes account. Apple shares no license info with us about whom purchases the app, nor do we provide Apple with info about whom purchased it from Agilebits (before entry into the MAS). So I think you can see why there would be some confusion etc.

Apple is the only one who can remedy this situation as they are the ones who run the app store. I wish there was a way we could help but unfortunately there is no way for us to issue app store refunds. You will need to contact Apple about a refund etc.

I do understand it is a lot of money but the good thing (if you can count those in this ordeal) is you did purchase it while it was on sale at a discounted price. The new purchase does entitle you to a free upgrade to version 4.0 when it debuts.

I am a lowly moderator and just try to provide information when I can. If you want to follow up with the support staff, etc there are 2 avenues for you to do so.

You can submit an email to support@agilebits.com Please include as much info as possible about the situation etc

Alternately you can register at the new support site and when filling in a request make sure to check the box labeled make this private so that any correspondence between you and the staff are private. I personally prefer this method myself.

I would ask you to remember that most of the staff are based in the US and or Canada, England as well (Hi Stu !) Most are observing Christmas or some type of holiday at this time. Response may be a little slower than normal. But it could also be speedier than you might expect. There have been staff answers posted today already.

http://support.agilebits.com

Happy Holidays to you.

ps. I am just sorry I can't help more than giving a little background info and sending you elsewhere.
  • SeaGull
    SeaGull
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    Hi

Thanks for this speedy reply and your efforts to assist. However, I do not feel I have a case to put to Apple for a refund since it was the advice given to me by the Agile Trouble Shooting Guide which, as far as I can remember, did not suggest a choice of where a reinstall is downloaded from, it instructed me to download it from iTunes (Mac App Store). At that time I had no reason to research it any further and so, in good faith, did what it instructed. I take your point about the 'good thing' and would also add that, since using this version 3.9.2 (from the Mac App. Store), it seems far more stable than the 3.8.13 version; which caused the problem in the first place.

I will contact the support site as you suggest but thought it worth posting this to you if only to warn other readers that the Agile Trouble Shooting Guide can, in the heat of trying to solve a problem, lead to buying the upgrade unnecessarily (at a cost of £20.99) if followed 'blindly'.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you also!
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    SeaGull

Do you a link to the guide, if so make sure to include it in an correspondence with the team.

Can you post it here ?
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    I take your point about bad advice from Agile, and the situation about refunds for any App Store program (not just 1PW) is confusing and difficult.

But you do have to take responsibility for yourself also. I have 1PW 3.8.12 and I just checked for updates, and was told there were none. That suggests to me that if you were offered 3.8.13 you must have chosen to include beta versions when looking for updates. That's not the default, and anyone who does that is running risks.

And if you had had proper backups, you should have been able to restore 3.8.12.

And you would definitely have been told before downloading 3.9.2 from the App Store that you would be charged for it. I don't see how you could overlook that.

Finally, you say that you do not feel you have a case to put to Apple. There's never any harm in asking, at worst they can refuse. You followed bad advice from the developers, but that should not stop you asking for a refund from Apple who sold you the product.
  • SeaGull
    SeaGull
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    Hi Danco

Thank you for taking an interest in this topic. However, I feel you may have slightly missed my point.

You are right, I was using the Beta version and fully accept the risk that the program may have bugs. I have no issue with that and was content to do what it took to correct it, that was what I was trying to do at the time.

I keep regular backups using Time Machine and an external harddisk. The point here is that I had no reason to believe I needed to back up from it. I have used the Beta version for a long time now and any bugs have always been resolved quickly either by Agiles excellent support or through a
    process of elimination. I had total and unquestioning trust in Agile and their Trouble Shooting Guides.

When reiinstalling a program through the App Store, in my experience, it goes through as a purchase and at the last moment you receive notice that it has previously been purchased and no additionaal charge will be made.

If I am at fault it was because, at that time, I did not realise Agile was developing two different programs, the second being specifically aimed at the app store. Nor did I realise that my licence number would not apply to the App Store version. I also accept that had I read some of the posts in this forum I would have realised. Sadly, in the heat of the moment, I didn't.

I think the guide was inadvertently misleading and lead me down the path to the App Store purchase, a purchase I didn't want or need.

I do take responsibility for my own part in this but then I was not looking to proportion blame as you appear to suggest. I have known Agile for long enough to know that they do the very best for their customers. If I am unable to recoup any of the £20.99 then I will accept the new program with good grace and concentrate on the 'good points' already mentioned.

As far as claiming from Apple, you are right again, I could. However, I am a bit old fashioned, Apple, were not at fault so morally I would be unhappy doing so. My loss I guess.

To recap. My original post was seeking a compromise from Agile to recoup the money I felt I had lost unnecessarily (and I accept their decision if they are unable to do so) and to flag the issue for others to save them from the same situation.

I hope this clarifies the obvious ambiguties in my previous posts. Thanks again for your interest.

Have a Happy New Year.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Hi SeaGull,

First of all, belated happy holidays to you! Apologies for not being able to reply sooner. The AgileBits team was focusing our limited resources on Christmas Day on our support site (rather than these community forums), so I'm sorry I didn't get here before now.

I received a popup from you informing me of the latest update (2.8.13).

I'm going to assume that you made a typo both in that sentence and the title of the thread since we just released 1Password 3.8.13 (rather than 2.x) to all of our non-MAS customers. Your subsequent post seems to corroborate that assumption. :)

The extension would not open and flagged a problem message that I could not read because the extension would not open. The main program opened but would not fill in passwords etc. Everything was working before the update.

I haven't heard of any reports like this, but if you are able to reproduce it, I would love to see what happened in order to provide a solution.

I worked my way through your trouble shooting guide including downloading your trouble shooting program. I went stage by stage though all the actions you recommend without success until I got to the action to Reset Launch Services and reinstall 1Password from iTunes. I followed this instruction and downloaded (3.9.2) which works but I have now been charged £20.99 by itunes for the program I already owned.

I'll reiterate Tommy's question as it was the first one that popped into my mind when reading your initial post. Could you please let me know where you read that you needed to re-purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store in order to get things working even though you already had an existing license? This is absolutely not the case as 1Password 3.8.x is still in development (as proven by the recent 3.8.13 update you downloaded) and fully supported. If there is anything in the User Guide indicating otherwise, I would like to correct it immediately so we don't have any other folks confused by it.

As Tommy mentioned, if you were going to be upgrading to 1Password 4 anyway, you picked the right time to do so as 1Password was available for a very nice discount for the holidays and all Mac App Store purchases come with a free upgrade to 1Password 4. :)

However, if you would prefer to get a refund, it is true that we cannot assist with that since the Mac App Store is managed by Apple. I hope that you are able to get the matter resolved quickly by Apple and to your satisfaction.

For immediate support in the future, please do contact us via the methods that Tommy described above. I checked to see if you already had (based on the email address you used to sign up for these community forums) but couldn't find anything other than this thread in which I am currently replying. If there is anything else I can do to help — especially if you are having any trouble with 1Password or its browser integration — please let me know. I want nothing more than to get things sailing smoothly for you.

Cheers,
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    SeaGull, I think I was a little hard on you. And certainly it was worth pointing out that the guide is inadvertently misleading.

I would urge you to ask Apple for a refund, though. After all, you bought the product from them and it does not suit you, so they are the people to ask. It's not a matter of fault, with the exception of software one can return most items to a retailer, in fact it is a legal requirement for physical goods bought online.

As has been pointed out, it also depends on how much you need the money. Several of us chose to make a purchase from the App Store as a way of getting a free upgrade (at some unspecified future date) even though there was no immediate need.
  • SeaGull
    SeaGull
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    Hi Khad

No need to apologise I didn't expect ANY reply until well after the holiday, yet alone Christmas Day!

First, to simplify the issue, I have decided to keep the Apple version. It might be my imagination but it feels a better program anyway.

As far as the 'Guide' issue goes I have tried to find the written guide that I was referring to without success. However, the Apple issue arose while working through your downloadable trouble shooting program. I assumed it applied to all versions of 1Password. I worked through the instructions until I got to the last menu 'Reset Launch Services'. The wording talks of the Mac App Store but I assumed that Agile had some arrangement with Apple and it was the way forward for me. As far as I could see there was nothing to suggest that the program was dealing with the App Store version only so I went ahead.

The error may well be mine and my lack of knowledge but from my stand point if the program had made it clear it was for the App Store program only or that particular menu item warned me, at this point, to download from your website if I didn't purchase my version from the App Store I would not have had the problem.

Again this is not a complaint. I am just trying to assist you identify if this needs to be addressed or not. I hope it helps.

I have a screenshot if it assists but am not sure how to attach it.

Thank you for your interest.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I think I found the dialog box to which you are referring.

20111228-rpsgpyspk2ksdxn573ggrje78e.png

This is in the 1Password Troubleshooting application that we reference in specific discussions with folks when they are having trouble with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. It is not a tool that we make "publicly" available (e.g., in the User Guide or on the AgileBits website), so it is only designed for use with clear instructions from an AgileBits team member.

I'm sorry that you found a link to it in an unrelated discussion thread and used it without direction. While it seems that no one from AgileBits instructed you you reset launch services, install 1Password from the Mac App Store, or confirm a purchase when prompted that you would be charged by the App Store, I'll discuss with the team to see what we might do to prevent this sort of thing in the future.

Thanks for mentioning this!
  • SeaGull
    SeaGull
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    khad wrote:

I think I found the dialog box to which you are referring.

20111228-rpsgpyspk2ksdxn573ggrje78e.png

This is in the 1Password Troubleshooting application that we reference in specific discussions with folks when they are having trouble with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. It is not a tool that we make "publicly" available (e.g., in the User Guide or on the AgileBits website), so it is only designed for use with clear instructions from an AgileBits team member.

I'm sorry that you found a link to it in an unrelated discussion thread and used it without direction. While it seems that no one from AgileBits instructed you you reset launch services, install 1Password from the Mac App Store, or confirm a purchase when prompted that you would be charged by the App Store, I'll discuss with the team to see what we might do to prevent this sort of thing in the future.

Thanks for mentioning this!

Hi Kahad

Yep. that's it, you found it! Except I didn't find the link on an unrelated discussion thread, I found it at the end of a trouble shooting guide. From memory; when I was having trouble with 3.8.13 a red figure 1 appeared on the extension icon in Safari and a link to troubleshoot (in blue) appeared. It was that link that lead me to the guide that contained the link to the program to which you refer above.

Regards
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I see what you mean. I'll mention this to the developers. A slight change in wording in the troubleshooting guide and/or app certainly wouldn't hurt.

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

All the best,
  • SeaGull
    SeaGull
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

I see what you mean. I'll mention this to the developers. A slight change in wording in the troubleshooting guide and/or app certainly wouldn't hurt.

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

All the best,

I agree, a small change in wording is all that is needed. I remain, as ever, very impressed with your support and after sales service. Thank you.

All the best to you too.
This discussion has been closed.