Recover data from time machine backup

1pass11235813
1pass11235813
Community Member

I screwed up today. I changed my master password and after few hours in; cannot correctly remember the new password :(

I took a time machine backup last week. Can I use it to restore my old data? I am assuming it is encrypted with my old password? I do remember by old password. If yes, what is the location of the files in need to restore?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.5 (70500002) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1pass11235813!

Sorry to hear about this. This is something I have never tried I am afraid, so I am not completely sure. In any case, 1Password 7 data lives in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits, if you want to try to restore from a backup.

• 1pass11235813
    1pass11235813
    Community Member

Thank you! I restored this folder and was able to export my data. Phew. (side note: Are documents stored somewhere else ?! ).

Regarding next steps. What do you recommend ? Just start over ?

My laptop is still off the internet. What will happen if I bring it back up??
    1Password server has the new master password; while local has the old password. Will local data gets overwritten by server ?

• Thank you! I restored this folder and was able to export my data. Phew.

Awesome. Glad to hear it. :)

(side note: Are documents stored somewhere else ?! ).

Only if they've been decrypted. The encrypted documents are stored in the folder Ana mentioned.

Regarding next steps. What do you recommend ? Just start over ?

If you don't know your Master Password for your account, and there is nobody else on your membership who can help you recover it, then yes. In that case starting over would be the only way forward. You can delete the existing account by following the prompts on this page:

https://my.1password.com/support

My laptop is still off the internet. What will happen if I bring it back up??
    1Password server has the new master password; while local has the old password. Will local data gets overwritten by server ?

Yes, it will. But if you've exported your data, the export won't be overwritten. Once you've created a new account you can import the data that you exported into it, using the File > Import menu in 1Password for Mac. If you have any trouble with that, or any questions along the way, we'll be here to help. :)

Ben

• 1pass11235813
    1pass11235813
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Thanks. Regarding documents, just discovered, it’s only 1 document that’s acting up. Rest is fine. I am ok with that. Thanks again.

• odioc
    odioc
    Community Member

Will Time Machine recover a deleted vault?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @1pass11235813! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@odioc:

If you took a backup before you deleted the vault, you should be able to recover its data too.

• odioc
    odioc
    Community Member

I have been taking backups on Time Machine so I will explore how to restore 1Password on the Apple forum.

But the specific instructions on 1Password to back up on a MAC are to go to 1Password and go to File>Backup. And to restore, it would be File>Restore.

There is no such selection on my MAC (I have Catalina installed). My selections are as follows:

So I don't understand how I backup 1Password from** my **MAC.

Any tips would be great...

• Hi @odioc

The instructions you quoted are specifically for standalone vaults. If you have a 1Password Membership, they do not apply. The information regarding membership-based vaults is above that, under the heading "Your 1Password account is backed up automatically." :)

Time Machine would be a last resort when it comes to 1Password.

Ben

• odioc
    odioc
    Community Member

Thank you Ben...I am on my "last resort" so I will see what I can do! The Support Team said there was nothing they could do to restore it.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020

I see. As Jessy alluded recovering a deleted vault is generally not possible / supported, however if you're able to:

1. Disconnect from the internet and then completely quit 1Password using Command+Control+Option+Q
    2. Restore the ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits folder from Time Machine
    3. Open and unlock 1Password
    4. Export the vault in question
    5. Reconnect to the internet
    6. Create a new vault in your account
    7. Import the contents of the previous vault into the newly created vault in your account using the File > Import menu

That may work. I hope so. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.