Don't open a new tab if I'm already in a new tab

When I open a new tab, open 1Password X, and select a website to open and autofill, it should open in the current (empty) tab, instead of opening another new tab.

This happens for me in Microsoft Edge, I do not recall the same behaviour in Google Chrome (although I believe I was using the legacy extension at the time).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: X 1.19.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new tab

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aaronadams!

I have just tested this in 1Password X, and in my case the website opened in the same empty tab, it did not open a new one. I am however running the latest 1Password X 1.20.0 though, so I wonder if that might have something to do with this. Can you try updating 1Password X and see if that helps?

• aaronadams
    aaronadams
    Community Member

It looks like 1.19.2 is still the latest 1Password X for Microsoft Edge.

Did it work for you in Edge, or are you using Chrome?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aaronadams:

I first tested this both in Chrome and in Firefox, and now I also tested it on Edge and I can see that 1Password X opens a new tab there. Perhaps it's because of the browser, or perhaps it's because 1Password X 1.20.0 was quite a big update (you can look at the release notes for version 1.20.0), so it's possible that the latest version improved this behavior. It would be interesting to see if Edge starts behaving like other browsers once version 1.20.0 becomes available for Edge too.

• aaronadams
    aaronadams
    Community Member

I hope it's live on Edge soon, thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! :)

• aaronadams
    aaronadams
    Community Member

Just got 1.20 and this still doesn't work, so it seems to be an issue only with the Edge extension. Hope it's something that can be fixed. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Thank you for the update @aaronadams. Let me report this to the rest of the team so we can take a look and see if there is anything we can do here :+1:

ref: dev/core/core#1879

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aaronadams:

I wanted to send you a quick update about this. We have confirmed that Edge behaves differently from other browsers when you open a new empty tab. This, in turn, makes it behave differently with 1Password when you have an existing tab open, so that is why we were not seeing the same behavior in other browsers (Chrome, for example).

We will investigate this to see if there is something we can do here, and to make sure there are no unwanted consequences :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aaronadams:

Another quick update for you :) We have made a change that should help make sure Edge behaves like other browsers. Please keep an eye out for a future update of 1Password X and let us know if things work as expected now.

This discussion has been closed.