1Password thinks AWS Services search autocomplete could benefit from auto filling

GRath
GRath
Community Member
edited June 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

This is one of those things I don't think was happening until recently, but can't say for sure how long ago it actually started.

I work a lot with AWS, which has a large number of services; recently 1Password has decided that the services search/autocomplete is a valid target to suggest items to autofill, which obscures the search results and makes it generally a lot harder to work with.

example

AWS has a track record with their UI, so it's unlikely to have changed nor be changed even if it's a case of them misusing DOM elements & attributes, so I'm wondering if 1Password could add an exemption for this input.

The search box has an ID: awsc-services-search-autocomplete so that could be targeted easily without mistakenly hitting other elements
Long term it would be cool if 1Password supported a similar feature to adblockers, letting you provide DOM selectors to exclude fields from being autocompleted, but unless such a feature is right around the corner, this would be a quick & easy solution :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.19.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @GRath! I'm sorry you're running into this. Interestingly, I'm not able to reproduce with the latest stable or beta release of 1Password X. Can you right-click that field, choose the Inspect option, and send me a screenshot of what the entire HTML for that field looks like? I'd like to compare it to what I see on my end. The htmlId is the same for me, but maybe something else is different.

• GRath
    GRath
    Community Member

@ag_michaelc thanks for the speedy reply!

Here's the DOM tree I've got on my side for the search input:

<div class="awsc-services-search">
      <div id="awsc-input-wrapper">
        <input
          id="awsc-services-search-autocomplete"
          type="text"
          placeholder="Find a service by name or feature (for example, EC2, S3 or VM, storage)."
          class="ui-autocomplete-input"
          autocomplete="off"
        />
        <ul
          id="ui-id-1"
          tabindex="0"
          class="ui-menu ui-widget ui-widget-content ui-autocomplete ui-front"
          style="display: none;"

</div>
      <div id="awsc-services-search-filter-group">
        <div class="awsc-services-search-filter active" data-filter-type="group">
          <a href="#">Group</a>
        </div>
        <div class="awsc-services-search-filter" data-filter-type="az">
          <a href="#">A-Z</a>
        </div>
      </div>
    </div>

Let me know if you'd like to see more of surrounding DOM :)

• Thank you, @GRath. This one's puzzling me; I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the exact same thing in the exact same place, and the HTML looks the same. 🤔 Just in case I'm somehow on a different page, can you walk me through the exact steps of how to get to that screen in your first screenshot?

• GRath
    GRath
    Community Member

The page I'm on is this one, but the header shows on all pages that I'm aware of, and so this behaviour happens regardless of what service page I'm actually on.

Interestingly this doesn't happen in Incognito - looking at the Application tab in the dev tools, there does not seem to be any clear differences (cookies, local storage, or otherwise), but I'll try clearing them all the same.

• GRath
    GRath
    Community Member

Clearing cookies seems to have done the trick

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @GRath! I am glad to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• GRath
    GRath
    Community Member

@ag_michaelc this has come back :/

Clearing the cookies from https://ap-southeast-2.console.aws.amazon.com via the Application tab in Chrome (literally just held the delete key) has resolved this again, but I wouldn't expect this to be happening at all.

I've compared the dom after clearing the cookies to what I posted previously, and confirmed nothing has changed in that area.

Does 1Password have any behavioural differences based on cookies? I did try clearing a few specific ones with no luck; none of them seem to relate to the dom or 1Password in anyway.

1Password did update to 1.20.0 over the weekend, so maybe that caused it? I'm happy to install custom builds if that would be useful for grabbing more info :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GRath:

Updating 1Password X might have had something to do with this. I know this is not ideal, but do you mind keeping an eye on this and see if the next update of 1Password X also requires you to clear cookies on that website again? If that happens, we will know that the update of the extension might be related.

• GRath
    GRath
    Community Member

Ok nope this has come back already, so it can't be related to updating as I'm still on 1.20.0.

I do use assume roles heavily, so maybe it's related to that?

I'll keep having a play around to see if I can find a way of reproducing this, but would be useful to know more about the conditions that 1Password uses to decide on if it should provide autofill for a field :)

• GRath
    GRath
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Interestingly, clearing my cookies like before now does not resolve this as it did before, and I've now got this happening first time in incognito, where I've only got three other extensions running: uBlock Origin, Tampermonkey (doing nothing as I've got no scripts), and Hush Private Browsing (which does not have site access).

This was in a completely fresh log into aws.

• Hi @GRath!

We're going to be releasing a beta of 1Password X very soon with improved support for some fields that use the autocomplete="off" attribute. I see from the HTML snippet you posted above that this AWS search field is using autocomplete="off" correctly, so the new beta version should detect that and prevent the inline menu from showing by default here.

I'll bump this thread when the new beta is released if you feel like giving it a try!

This discussion has been closed.