2 week limit for Touch ID?

Options
prime
prime
Community Member

I got my new 13 inch MacBook Pro. This is my 1st new MacBook since my late 2008 aluminum MacBook, so I’m pretty excited. 1Password looks great, especially in dark mode. 2 things.... only a 2 week limit on the Touch ID, and I have to re-enter my master password? boooo :lol: Because you know 1Password will ask for my master password when I’m in a hurry :lol:

The 2nd thing I think you’re all working on. I cannot wait to only use the security key (Yubico) as my second factor. I know it works on some of the apps, but not all as of yet.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime!

2 things.... only a 2 week limit on the Touch ID

Can you please post a screenshot of your 1Password settings under Preferences > Security > Require Master Password?

The 2nd thing I think you’re all working on. I cannot wait to only use the security key (Yubico) as my second factor. I know it works on some of the apps, but not all as of yet.

Indeed, because not every app currently supports Yubikeys, you still need to keep another second factor as a backup. But I should note that, if you are only using devices that support Yubikeys, you can always use them, without ever using TOTP ;)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Here is the screenshot. It's been so long since I used a Mac, I almost forgot how to do this :lol:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime:

Thank you! I wanted to confirm that we were looking at the same section :+1:

That is correct: you will be require for your Master Password after a maximum of two weeks. This is also to make sure that folks don't rely exclusively on Touch ID, since the real protection comes from the Master Password :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

@ag_ana

Thank you! I wanted to confirm that we were looking at the same section :+1:

That is correct: you will be require for your Master Password after a maximum of two weeks. This is also to make sure that folks don't rely exclusively on Touch ID, since the real protection comes from the Master Password :)

But people can rely on Face ID and Touch ID on the iPhone? It’s not that big of a deal, I figured it would be the same across the line.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime:

But people can rely on Face ID and Touch ID on the iPhone?

They can, but with the same limitation as on macOS:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana but with iOS, I can change that to never.
    Settings > advance > security > require master password and mine is set to never. If I am on vacation, I set this to after a restart.

• Ben
    Options

Indeed. We'll likely have to re-evaluate that as we work toward consistency across the platforms.

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Ben

Indeed. We'll likely have to re-evaluate that as we work toward consistency across the platforms.

I get people don’t have the fail safes that’s I do if I forget my master password. All 5 devices will have to require my master password at the same time, and even then, I have it saved in my wife’s 1Password.

I like just using my finger and go. Like I said, with my luck, I’ll be in a hurry and then that’s when 1Password will want my master password.

• Ben
    Options

Understood. :) As I'm sure you've seen us say a number of times, it is all about balancing security and convenience. It is a delicate balance.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.