Can't get Safari Technology Preview to work with 1Password

egorfine
egorfine
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

View Approved Answer

Hello.

This is MBP running Catalina 10.5.6 and the latest 1Password beta. Never had any success running 1Password with STP; updated today to the latest STP 109 and still no avail. I have removed 1Password, restarted (and made sure no 1P processes are running), reinstalled release version — did not help. I have updated to the latest 1Password beta — did not help. The extension is active, button is present, but the click is ignored.

1Password with STP does offer to save passwords in forms though.

With STP 109 I really want to migrate to it, what could I do to make it work? I am willing to run alpha version, update hourly and generate reports to help you guys:-)

1Password Version: 7.6.BETA-3 (70600003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @egorfine! Welcome to the forum!

Instead of clicking on the extension button in the browser, can you please try filling your credentials using the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut? Are things working in that case?

• egorfine
    egorfine
    Community Member

Nope. "Fill login in browser" fails as well, although in the later case focus is changed from 1Password to Safari TP.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@egorfine:

Thank you for the confirmation. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• egorfine
    egorfine
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Email sent; nothing in reply yet. I have sent the report from the same email I am using here.

Update: #UDQ-66749-771

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@egorfine:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: UDQ-66749-771

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

@egorfine said
    "Nope. "Fill login in browser" fails as well, although in the later case focus is changed from 1Password to Safari TP."

Go to System Preferences > General and select Safari Technology Preview as Default web browser.

1Password acts on only on the selected version of Safari.

• egorfine
    egorfine
    Community Member

@xz4gb8 of course, done that, didn't help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation. That was worth checking :+1:

• jeffvogelsang
    jeffvogelsang
    Community Member

Hi -- I have the same problem. I was trying to use 1password with Safari Technology Preview in on Catalina as well. I set STP to be the default browser. After that, it didn't seem to work in either Safari correctly.

• TomD
    TomD
    Community Member

Same here--unable to use STP. I have it set as default browser & am running 1P 7.3 beta 3.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jeffvogelsang:

Are you also running 1Password 7.6.BETA-3?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TomD:

Thank you for the update. I don't see your diagnostics report in the system. Have you received a ticket number?

• TomD
    TomD
    Community Member

Oops typo. Yes I am running 7.6 Beta-3. I never sent a diagnostics report & I never received a ticket number.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TomD:

Thank you for the confirmation. If you would like us to take a look at why this is happening to you too, you are welcome to send us a diagnostics report (as per my instructions above) :+1:

• jeffvogelsang
    jeffvogelsang
    Community Member

Hi, I'm on 7.5 standard. In this case, should I be on the beta? I had not thought that I should go to the 1password beta to use Safari Technology preview. In the past 1password with STP has worked normally with STP set as the default browser, and I'm not testing any 1password specific new features.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jeffvogelsang:

I don't think the beta is mandatory, I have used Safari Technology Preview successfully before on the stable version. But since we are in the beta forum and the users who reported this behavior are all running 1Password for Mac beta, I was wondering if you were running the same version since you did not mention it in your post :+1:

• lanzani
    lanzani
    Community Member

@ag_ana I have 7.6 Beta-3, I can confirm I have the same issues as the rest!

• TomD
    TomD
    Community Member

I am running the beta only because I had read elsewhere on the forum that the beta was necessary for STP. Either way, the browser button doesn't work & when I click the 1P button in menu bar it tells me turn on the extension, which I have repeatedly. I just sent my diagnostics ref # BMB-26732-753

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @lanzani, we will continue to investigate :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TomD:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: BMB-26732-753

• jeffvogelsang
    jeffvogelsang
    Community Member

Hi. I wanted to share. What seems to work for me. Make Safari Technology preview the default browser. Uncheck 1password extension in standard Safari. Check 1password extension in Safari Technology preview. After this, 1password works cleanly for Safari Technology preview for me, so far today. Maybe having it active in both browsers is the problem?

Also for reference, every other thing I have that's an extension that works with an "outside" helper doesn't require this kind of config. Downie is an example of something that just works in both browsers without any fuss. DevonThink Clipper as well. Overpicture. To name a few. They work in both browsers side by side.

• edwinsteele
    edwinsteele
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion @jeffvogelsang . Unfortunately it didn't work for me (1Password v7.6, STP release 109, 10.15.5). It may be complicated by the 7.6 upgrade, though - since 7.6 the toolbar icon in STP doesn't do anything (with 7.5 it would at least open in Safari but fill into STP).

• jeffvogelsang
    jeffvogelsang
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Oh interesting. What I experience is this. In STP. If I’m on a form that 1Password knows how to fill, it fills the form when I hit command-backslash. If I’m on a page that doesn’t have a form and hit command-backslash, it opens 1Password Mini’s dialog, connected to the menubar item. If I click the 1Password button in STP, it opens the 1Password mini dialog connected to the 1Password icon in STP.

I have found that whenever I make a change to fix this stuff, it’s best to fully quit Safari, STP, and fully quit 1password — via Menubar, 1password Mini, settings cog, “Quit 1password Completely”. Then if I run STP and click the 1password icon, it summons 1password back.

I’ve also had it make it a difference to to uncheck 1password in the Safaris, quit all, then try to put stuff back.

• @edwinsteele

I suspect that much like STP 80 and Safari 13 transition that we had last year that the only solution here for STP is going to be Safari 14 shipping in the fall. I've had none of the described issues when running STP under macOS 11 (Big Sur).

• edwinsteele
    edwinsteele
    Community Member

Thanks. It's possible that there's a bigger problem here. In testing @jeffvogelsang 's last suggestion I can see that the 1password toolbar button does nothing in both STP nor Safari. @rudy / @ag_ana , should I open a separate forum thread to get to the bottom of what's going on?

• @edwinsteele,

I would say that at this point we should forgo any attempt to debug why you're seeing this specific behavior. The 7.7 betas will entirely replace the existing extension.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

I'm getting the sort of the same problem as @edwinsteele , ie. 1Password toolbar button in STP does nothing. (I have turned off the 1P extension in Safari and set STP to be default browsler.) When I use cmd-\ , it brings up a dialog telling me to turn on the extension, but it is already on. I will wait for the 7.7 betas as @rudy suggests.

1Password: 7.6.1 BETA-0

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood, thank you for the update @mirv :+1:

• pauldunlop
    pauldunlop
    Community Member

Any ETA on the 7.7 betas, just out of curiosity? We thinking weeks, months? I'm suffering the same issue currently.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pauldunlop:

We typically don't share ETAs because doing so is a great way to be wrong most of the time :) But we are working on that at the moment :+1:

This discussion has been closed.