Master password spontaneously changed

gregmaletic
gregmaletic
Community Member

I'm using 1Password 7 on both my work and home Macs. A week or two ago, the master password on my work Mac spontaneously changed to an older master password that I previously used.

For a while, my home Mac continued to use my "latest" password; just now, it transitioned to the "older" password. I guess it's good that they're now in sync, but I'm wondering how this happened in the first place.

I am using iCloud syncing. I'm running 10.15.5 on the work Mac; 10.15.3 on the home Mac.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Hi @gregmaletic!

This is interesting, I have never heard of 1Password spontaneously changing the Master Password without user intervention before. How many vaults do you have inside your 1Password apps? Have you added or removed any vaults recently?

• gregmaletic
    gregmaletic
    Community Member

I have four vaults. Three are maintained by my work; one is my personal vault. There have been no recent changes to this that I'm aware of.

• Hi @gregmaletic

The way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

When using a Primary (standalone) vault the information in this blog post would also apply:

How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

This does not apply when using 1Password membership accounts exclusively (no standalone vaults). Does that help?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.