1Password ignores settings and start requiring login immediately for next use.

MajorHavoc
MajorHavoc
Community Member
edited June 2020 in iOS

Not the best title, so let me explain. And I’ll use an example. Also apologies if this has already been discussed, but TLDR on the number of questions here. Sorry for the length. Anyway...

Example: In Safari or Chrome: When logging on to Facebook, it first asks for your email. I bring up 1Password, use face scan, or finger print sensor, or maybe just type my very long password depending on which device I’m on. I pick the Facebook account I want to use and say fill. 1Password goes away and the field is filled. Since I don’t use automatic enter, I hit enter. This bring up the next page that says password. Since 1Password does not realize it entered a user name and is now seeing password entry, I call up (usually with “right click equivalents) and up pops 1Password, and again, asks me to log in again, right away.

Yes, I have a long logout time. No, I did not shut off or sleep between entries. But this is especially annoying if a device requires you to type your password to use 1Password every time.

I also see this on my Macs and Windows machines on browsers at times. And it is not limited to a browser. If I have apps that need login, the same thing happens.
However, i f I go to setting and channge the timeout setting and then change it back, it’s starts working as expected, not asking me to log in every time, for a while anyway, and then some time later, it goes back to immediate lock after use, even though that is not the setting shown. I have been seeing this for some time, but since my IMacPro requires me to enter my long 1 Password password every time, it Can be aggravating.. My windows machine does this same thing at times as well

If I am doing something to cause this, please tell me how to fix this. Otherwise, this is a very annoying bug.

iOS version 7.5.3
Mac version auto updates, so latest as of this day. Same for Windows. (Sorry, not at those machines now)

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS ver 13.5.1
Sync Type: Family account sync

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MajorHavoc!

I can't remember this ever happening to me (once I unlock 1Password, it will remain unlocked while I enter the password after filling the username), so we will need some more details from you. Are you able to consistently reproduce this? Is there a series of steps that I can test to try to trigger this?

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Hi. Thanks for answering. It does happen all the time, but it seems to randomly just all of a sudden be like that. I see it mostly on iOS products (iPads, iPhone) and I'm not donig anything unusual.

I will keep watch, and see if I can grab a sysdiagnose of that device when it happens. I will also try and see if I can create a reproducible set of steps.

Oh, and one more things that seems to go hand in hand. On my iPad, about the same time, the finger touch stops showing up as a way to unlock the app, requiring the password. The little fingerprint symbol on available. I see that as well on my iPhone, where it stops using face ID and requires a password. I know that happens after so many days not using it (2 weeks I believe) but I am seeing this often as well.

Let me go switch the lock time, get it working again, and see if I can find a common ellement that causes this.

Here are my setting. I have touched nothing at this point in settings. One thing to note here is being told my master password will be required the next time I unlock. Why? I have FaceID turned on. I did not change passwords, and I just used 1Password to open two things. It has not been 30 minutes (obviously Im using it) and not two weeks. Might this be a clue? This is part of the same problem I believe.

Thanks, and Stand by.....

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

Oh, and one more things that seems to go hand in hand. On my iPad, about the same time, the finger touch stops showing up as a way to unlock the app, requiring the password. The little fingerprint symbol on available.

Do you mean that the fingerprint icon is available or is not available? Are you able to tap on it on the Master Password screen?

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

Sorry for the confusion. One problem on the iOS devices is that I do not know if the icon is available as it is often covered by the keyboard. So I went and checked. It is simply missing. I can usually find that, but not always.

If I had to put a finger on this problem, I would say it looks like settings are being ignored or overwritten somehow.

Also, today, on my PC, passwords to websites I go to on Mac and iOS are not showing up on my windows machine. This machine is on 24/7 as it runs business services, so I do not believe this to be a sync problem due to lack of time. But I can't help but wonder fi you detect that this machine is on a VPN and refuse connections to my account to sync passwords?

Simple example: I have a router on my network at 192.168.10.254. I added a password many months ago to 1Password for that specific IP{ address. It is on all my iOS devices (too many) and my 2 different Macs. But that same password has not shown up on my PC. I have all vaults selected, and I am logged in.

I should probably stop talking. I seem to be making the software collapse all around me. :-(

-Owen-

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Oh, let me add to the above. I just created a bogus entry on the Windows machine and it did a sync immediately to all the other machines. So outward syncing seems to work. Just not inward at times. SIGH But creating a bogus entry on my Mac this time synced immediately. Yet, there are logins missing on the Windows machine that are on all the other devices. It is strange.

I will also add that when looking at "All Vaults" on my Mac, it says 1946 items. On Windows, "All Vaults" shows 1815 items. All vaults on my iPhone shows 1887 items. If they are all sharing the same 4 vaults, should they not have the same number of items?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

But I can't help but wonder fi you detect that this machine is on a VPN and refuse connections to my account to sync passwords?

No, 1Password will sync even if you are connected to a VPN. I have also just tested this myself, and the changes where synced while on the VPN.

I will also add that when looking at "All Vaults" on my Mac, it says 1946 items. On Windows, "All Vaults" shows 1815 items. All vaults on my iPhone shows 1887 items. If they are all sharing the same 4 vaults, should they not have the same number of items?

They should certainly have the same number of items, if they have exactly the same vaults. If you login to your account on 1Password.com, what's the number of items there? This will help us understand where the problem is.

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Ok. Looking online, the Mac is correct. Strangely if I add an item from any device now, it shows up everywhere. But the missing items never show up. So syncing is taking place, but items are being ignored. I noticed the numbers were different quite some time ago, gave it little thought until I finally hit one I needed and it was missing. I’m sure I could delete it and replace it, but that should not be necessary.

And the constant login just started again on my phone. It seems to happen if leave the app running and it times out and locks. After that, when I choose 1Password again, I have to login again every time. This has been around for a while. On my iPhone the password screen shows each use, but this time the face ID button was showing, so I could login with that. Just that instead of staying unlocked, it locks immediately after using it again.

Worth noting if I “force quit” the app and reopen it, it is unlocked and stays unlocked the proper time. It seems to be letting it time out and lock without quitting the app.

Hope this is helpful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

I think at this point it might be useful to look at some logs and see if we can spot something there. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your devices (you can find instructions for all platforms on that page) and email them to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Like taking your car to the shop, and the problem goes away, when I want to capture logs, I can’t get a decent failure. And it fails when I can’t capture logs.

I’ll keep trying.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @MajorHavoc, sounds good :+1:

This discussion has been closed.