Adding new Category?

JamesM1
JamesM1
Community Member

Well, i was looking around and found a few posts already but want to make sure if its, in 2020, possible now to add (own) categories or if this is still not possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JamesM1! Welcome to the forum!

We will probably not add any more built in categories to the app, because no matter how many we add, there will always be some more missing, and which some users would like to have. Instead, we are currently beta testing custom categories in our 1Password Business accounts. Depending on how that test goes, we might decide to extend the feature to other account types ;)

• JamesM1
    JamesM1
    Community Member

Ok. Not really answering my question but from what i read means i CANT add own categories myself?!!
    Bit frustrating but OK....
    Thanks for answering and making my decision a bit easier

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JamesM1:

Ok. Not really answering my question but from what i read means i CANT add own categories myself?!!

You can, if you have a Business account with beta features enabled. If you are using other account types (like an Individual or Families account), then the feature is not available there yet.

• JamesM1
    JamesM1
    Community Member

Thx but.... to complicated and to expensive but thx for helping. Bye

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @JamesM1! If you find something complicated, please let us know and we will be happy to see if there is anything we can do to help :)

Have a wonderful day :)

• bobcarpenter1
    bobcarpenter1
    Community Member

I'm a current KeePass user. I'm currently a paying customer of 1Password too. Categories are essential to me as I manage scores of passwords for home and some for work. While searching is good, it is of little use to me based on my choices for IDs. KeePass allows me to create and manage an unlimited number of categories. Help me understand the technical or security barriers for not allowing more categories or other common fields to filter by? Losing all my categories when I imported from a KeePass CSV to 1Password was disappointing. I'm not interested in the Business account option. Bob

• Hi @bobcarpenter1

We support a number of ways to organize your items, predominately: accounts, vaults, favorites, and tags, and categories. If you're trying to separate work data from home data I'd recommend considering separate accounts, or at a minimum, separate vaults. Categories in 1Password are analagous to templates. They define the fields that items will have. But each item also has entirely customizable fields. If one of the existing templates doesn't suit your needs you can build your own, e.g. as we've outlined in this blog post:

Making the most of Secure Notes

You can learn more about customizing fields here:

Customize your 1Password items

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.