To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Data Syncing

BruceSaltzman
BruceSaltzman
Community Member

I've had a family membership for quite some time now. Before I became a member, I set up my syncing in Dropbox. I'm now wanting to change to iCloud. However if I'm now understanding it correctly, is it not necessary to sync to either if I have a family membership? Will I be able to sync all my devices through the membership and ditch both Dropbox and iCloud for syncing purposes? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.5, iOS 13.5.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BruceSaltzman! Welcome to the forum!

However if I'm now understanding it correctly, is it not necessary to sync to either if I have a family membership?

That's correct.

Will I be able to sync all my devices through the membership and ditch both Dropbox and iCloud for syncing purposes?

Yes, sync is automatic with a 1Password membership, so no third party methods will be necessary :)

• BruceSaltzman
    BruceSaltzman
    Community Member

Thanks for the prompt response. Can you point me to the procedure for syncing through my membership. Both me and my wife show up as "People" in the membership, however I'm not seeing syncing action on my other devices unless I set up syncing either through Dropbox or iCloud. Thank you.

• @BruceSaltzman

When you sign into your 1Password account within one of the 1Password apps all of the vaults within that account will automatically sync to and remain synced with that device. Being signed into the account is what makes it sync; there aren't additional sync settings beyond that. If you still have vaults that are not part of your membership (e.g. you see them in the apps but not at https://my.1password.com) you can migrate those vaults to your account using Settings > Advanced > Migrate Data to Your Account (iOS) or Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vault to Account (Mac).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• BruceSaltzman
    BruceSaltzman
    Community Member

Thank you. So I verified that all devices are signed into my account. I then noticed that the vault I want to sync to all devices is not listed in the 'list.' The vault I want to sync is active, just not in the list. The vault that shows in the list has no items in it, which I'm sure explains why no syncing through the account is taking place. Syncing only works when I use either Dropbox or iCloud. Also, in my apps, there is no option to sync other than Dropbox or iCloud. Does that mean anything in this scenario? Thank you.

• @BruceSaltzman

That's a great start. It sounds like you've completed the first half of the equation. The second half would be migrating your vaults to your account so they sync properly (instead of through a 3rd party). You can migrate those vaults to your account using Settings > Advanced > Migrate Data to Your Account (iOS) or Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vault to Account (Mac). If you see Dropbox or iCloud as options, it means you have vaults that are not part of your account. Those should be migrated using these instructions. :)

Ben

• BruceSaltzman
    BruceSaltzman
    Community Member

Got it, thanks. However, 'Migrate Standalone Vault to Account (Mac)' is greyed out.

• @BruceSaltzman

In that case you may need to first switch to an account based vault in the vault switcher. The vault switcher is at the top left corner of the app. Click there, and then click on the 'Personal' vault underneath your account name. Then try the migration option.

Please let me know how that goes.

Ben

• BruceSaltzman
    BruceSaltzman
    Community Member

OK, that's done. On my Mac, the syncing option in the app preferences is now gone, so assuming that was the desired outcome. Should now be syncing with account. Migration showed to be successful. However, even though other devices show signed into account, syncing is still left to choices of only Dropbox or iCloud.

• OK, that's done. On my Mac, the syncing option in the app preferences is now gone, so assuming that was the desired outcome.

Yes indeed.

Should now be syncing with account. Migration showed to be successful.

Great! You can verify by making a change to an item on the Mac and then checking for that change at https://my.1password.com/

However, even though other devices show signed into account, syncing is still left to choices of only Dropbox or iCloud.

Do you still have a vault called "Primary" on these devices? If so you'd need to delete any remaining standalone vaults, as well as the Primary vault (Primary has to be deleted last). Alternatively you can uninstall and reinstall the 1Password for iOS app and re-sign in to your account. This will get you to a state where you only have the vaults that are part of your membership.

Ben

• BruceSaltzman
    BruceSaltzman
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your patience. Everything is working fine now across all devices. Now I've discovered that the master password to sign in to the apps is the one used for signing into my account. I think I saw where I can change the master password to one of my choosing in the account settings. Thanks for everything. You guys are the gold standard for customer service.

• Thanks so much for your patience.

Likewise! I'm sorry that the process wasn't more straight forward.

Everything is working fine now across all devices. Now I've discovered that the master password to sign in to the apps is the one used for signing into my account. I think I saw where I can change the master password to one of my choosing in the account settings.

That is excellent news. Thanks for sharing. Yes, you would use your account password to unlock the apps. If you'd like to change that password you can find instructions here:

How to change your Master Password

I would highly recommend printing a new Emergency Kit after doing so, and writing the new Master Password on it. This document should be stored in a safe and secure location, such as a fire safe or bank deposit box:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Thanks for everything. You guys are the gold standard for customer service.

You are most welcome. Thank you for using 1Password. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• BruceSaltzman
    BruceSaltzman
    Community Member

Sorry, there is one other thing. Before all these changes, my wife had permissions to edit vaults in our account. Now, with only the one vault left, I would like to add her to the vault editing status again. Don't see a clear way to do that. Thanks.

• @BruceSaltzman

Sorry, there is one other thing. Before all these changes, my wife had permissions to edit vaults in our account. Now, with only the one vault left, I would like to add her to the vault editing status again. Don't see a clear way to do that. Thanks.

Each account within a 1Password Families membership has access to two vaults, by default: "Personal" and "Shared." The Personal vault is unique to each account, and only the account that vault is associated with can even see that it exists. e.g. Your wife would never be able to see your Personal vault or the contents, and vice versa. The built-in Shared vault is accessible for reading and writing to everyone in the family. If you and your wife are and are likely to remain the only two people in your membership, you may want to consider moving any items that both of you should have access to into this Shared vault. If you imagine at some point you may add others to your membership, and you would not necessarily want them to have access to those items, then you can create your own vault with custom permissions (e.g. only you and your wife have access):

Create and share vaults

Does that make sense? Please let me know.

Ben

• BruceSaltzman
    BruceSaltzman
    Community Member

Got it, thanks for everything.

• Happy to help @BruceSaltzman. If anything else comes up we'll be here. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.