Is accidentally typing ones MP into a pw field, "bad" enough to have to change it?

jmjm
jmjm
Community Member

Using a trusted machine I thought I was typing the MP into "Enter Your Master Password" of 1PX but w/o looking I had actually typed it into the box of a pw field for an email login...looking up I then saw revealed each character of my MP :(. Is this faux pas enough to have to change the MP :(?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Some companies (including big ones like Facebook and Google) have accidentally been storing passwords in plain text in the past...

I would definitely change the MP!

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I was so hoping not to have to do this as the MP I had was good in all respects.

(And I do find it a bit stressful changing the MP....being sure 'they' match. As I recall I first type it in Word and then do a copy and paste into 1P)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm - I can't make that kind of risk assessment for you, but I can perhaps offer a little more insight. Most web forms don't receive what you type until you submit it by pressing Enter or Return, or clicking the Login or Submit button. It is certainly possible for websites to capture keystrokes as they're entered, but the standard Form element doesn't do this "out of the box." If you clicked Login or pressed Enter, then you definitely submitted the data in the form, and that would change my own calculus. But if you just typed? Depends on the website and other considerations (how much of it did you type, etc).

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies @XIII and @Lars. I dont recall if I pressed "Return" so being the risk averse individual I am I have (successfully) changed the MP associated with this individual account.

• Sounds good @jmjm. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.