I replaced hard drive. I reloaded all progs including 1Pwd. It works but I don't see taskbar icon

I replaced a sick hard drive on a Dell AIO computer with a solid state one. I had to reload all programs, including 1Password X. It works, but I no longer see its icon on the Windows 10 Home desktop or taskbar.

My PC browser is Edge. The only extension that's on is "1Password X – Password Manager", version 1.19.2, from the Microsoft store. There's another extension, "1Password extension (desktop app required)", version 3.7.5.90, from "other sources", but it is off.

I'm not sure how syncing is done. The Edge favorites sync well between PC and iPhone. However, they no longer sync between the PC Edge and the iPhone Chrome; I would also appreciate instructions on how to sync between them.

1Password Version: 1.19.2
Extension Version: 1.19.2
OS Version: Window 10 Home v. 1903
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password not showing on Windows taskbar or desktop

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paldossantos!

I'm not sure how syncing is done. The Edge favorites sync well between PC and iPhone. However, they no longer sync between the PC Edge and the iPhone Chrome;

Do you mean browser favorites? If that's what you mean, I am not sure that they can even sync between Edge and Chrome on iPhone, since those browsers are made by different developers. It might be a good question to ask Microsoft support or Chrome support however :+1:

It works, but I no longer see its icon on the Windows 10 Home desktop or taskbar.

Do you see the icon when you launch the 1Password for Windows app?

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

Good morning, please let me explain better: Before I replaced the hard drive and had to reload all programs, I had the 1Pwd icon on the Windows taskbar and desktop. Now I no longer see it there and can't launch 1Pwd from those sites. Now I have to press Ctrl+Shift+X to see a 1Pwd window that requires me to enter the Master Password and then I open 1Pwd, but it seems different from before. So, I would appreciate if you could tell me the steps to place the 1Pwd icon back on the desktop and/or taskbar. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

• @paldossantos

It sounds like you need to install 1Password for Windows:

Best Password Manager for Windows

You may also want to replace 1Password X with the companion extension for 1Password for Windows, available from that same page. If you are signed into the same 1Password account on all of your devices, then the same data will be available to you in 1Password on each.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

Thanks for your recommendation.
    These are my 5 devices, all signed into the same, only 1Password account:
    An old Dell computer:
     I can click the 1Password icon in the taskbar
     1Password for Windows (v. 7.4.767)
     Edge Beta with extensions:
     On: 1Password X – Password Manager
     Off: 1Password extension (desktop app required)
     Chrome extension
     On: 1Password extension (desktop app required)
    A new Dell computer
     The computer with the faulty hard drive that I replaced
     Before replacement, there was a 1Password icon in the taskbar
     Afterwards, no longer
     1Password X (v. 1.20.0)
     Edge with extensions:
     On: 1Password X – Password Manager
     Off: 1Password extension (desktop app required)
    2 iPhones and 1 iPad, all with
     1Password
     Chrome
     Edge

I saw the link you recommended, but I’m confused on exactly what I should do.
    You said that I need to install “1Password for Windows” in my new Dell computer. Will clicking “Download 1Password 7 for Windows” automatically replace 1Password X with 1Password for Windows, or do I need to uninstall 1Password X before installing 1 Password 7 for Windows?
    Then you indicated I may also want to replace 1Password X with the companion extension for 1Password for Windows. Since I already have Edge on my new Dell with the 2 extensions, do I just turn OFF the currently ON “1Password X – Password Manager extension”, and turn ON the currently OFF “1 Password extension (desktop app required)”?
    It seems logical that I should get my new Dell computer's 1Password functioning as before the hard drive change by following your recommendations. Nevertheless, I would really appreciate your providing me step-by-step instructions, which would clarify my neophyte’s procedural doubts.
    Thank you!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @paldossantos ,

Allow me to clarify and elaborate. The 1Password 7 desktop app for Windows needs to be installed on your computer in order for you to see the 1Password icon in your taskbar. So yes, you do need to go to our downloads page, as Ben suggested, then download and install 1Password 7 for Windows.

1Password 7 for Windows is a desktop app and installing it will not affect your browsers extensions. In each one of your browser, you can choose whether you'd like to work with the 1Password X extension, or the companion extension (entitled "1Password extension (desktop app required)"). Both extensions will show you the content of your 1Password account, will allow you to save new logins and autofill in your browser, but their user interface is rather different.

You can learn more about what 1Password X looks like, how to work with it and what it offers here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/
    You can learn more about what the 1Password companion extension looks like and how to work with it here: https://support.1password.com/1password-mini-windows/

If you already have both extensions installed, then simply turning one off and the other on is enough, no need to uninstall/reinstall them.

I hope that helps clarify things.

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

I clicked on Best Password Manager for Windows, signed in, chose my only account, saw the initial 8 characters of my Secret Key, entered my Master Password, clicked Get the App, clicked 1Password for Windows, downloaded 1Password Setup - 7.6.778.exe, opened it, said yes to Install 1Password. Then, as I have used 1Password before, I was given 3 options to choose from:
    1) Sign in to 1Password.com
    2) Sync using folder
    3) Sync using Dropbox
    I am in doubt about which to choose. I think I'm syncing with Dropbox, which I have for other endeavors. My gut reaction would be to choose 1 and hope that I indeed use Dropbox to sync and everything would be OK. However, I don't know whether I should choose 3 first. How do I find out how sync is being done? Please guide me on my choosing correctly. Thank you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @paldossantos ,

If you have a 1Password.com membership account, that's where all your data is stored and synced. That's what your Secret Key is protecting :)
    Please choose the first option "Sign in to 1Password.com" and all your data will show up in the app.

This discussion has been closed.