Have a vault I can't delete

Options
kengetz
kengetz
Community Member

I don't know all the history, and I don't understand all the ramifications of local vs. account vaults, but I started with the Mac-only version of 1Password, created a vault (named Personal) and by now have moved to the family account. I've copied everything from the Personal vault into account vaults, and I want to delete that old Personal vault (it's empty, but it's bugging me). I cannot figure out how to do it. I can delete any other vault, but not this one. There's just no option to do it, either in the Mac app or on the 1Password web site. Any ideas? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kengetz

'Personal' is a vault that is built-into each 1Password account, and cannot be deleted. Just to clarify: do you have a vault called 'Primary' at all? If so, the contents of that should be moved to Personal, and Primary should be deleted. Note that after deleting Primary you'd use the same password that you log in at https://my.1password.com/ with to unlock your 1Password apps, and that may be different from the password for the Primary vault (which would currently be what unlocks the apps, if you have one). Please let me know. :)

Ben

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. No "Primary" vault. Just the ones I have created, plus Personal. I guess I can live with an empty vault... Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks @kengetz. "Personal" is a bit of a special case, as no other vault can be created with the same properties it has, which is why we don't currently allow it to be deleted. That may be something we can reevaluate in the future. Thanks for bringing the issue up. :+1:

Ben

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member
    Options

Can you point me to an article that explains how to use the Personal vault? And why it's so special? Clearly, I'm using vaults wrong, then--I have one vault for each of the two people on the family account, plus a "shared" vault for items we both need. I was thinking those three vaults were all we need. The two personal vaults are named with our initials, so we can tell which is which, and the shared vault is named "Shared." Maybe I'm just confused?

• Ben
    Options

@kengetz

The Personal vault is the only vault that nobody else in the membership can ever see. You will only ever see your own Personal vault. Family Organizers can see that any other vaults exist, and grant themselves access to those vaults. This is not possible with the built-in Personal vault.

"Shared" is also a built-in vault, and is special because it is the only vault that everyone automatically has access to when they join. It can be deleted, and if it is it cannot be recreated. It is of course possible to create any number of shared vaults, but none of them will have that special property where everyone has access by default.

I can see how it would be handy to have a guide explaining all of this. I'll bring that up with our documentation folks for consideration. :)

Ben

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll have to study on this, but at least I think I know what the limitations are and what I can do. If it seems reasonable to have two vaults (one for each of us) plus the shared vault, I guess I'll just leave it at that!

• Ben
    Options

Sounds like a plan. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.