Best way to manage Wifi logins?

mrbeign
mrbeign
Community Member

Curious to see how everyone is managing wifi logins in 1Password.

I see there is a wireless router category but I'm not sure that is searchable when going to put in a password on a mobile device, plus that category has a lot of fields when in general I'd just care about SSID and password.

Are creating logins for each wifi the best solution? If so, do you leave the username blank and then just make the name of the login entry the SSID?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mr_beign!

I see there is a wireless router category but I'm not sure that is searchable when going to put in a password on a mobile device, plus that category has a lot of fields when in general I'd just care about SSID and password.

I personally use the Wireless Router category myself. You can ignore the fields you don't need: 1Password will only show you the ones that you explicitly filled with information and will hide all of the others (the same happens for every category by the way).

And information in Wireless Router items is searchable, so this category should do everything that you are looking for :)

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana thanks for the response!

In my testing on my iPhone, if I attempt to connect to WiFi, when the password field comes up and 1password launches the only things it appears to list are from the logins category, so I’m unable to select a wireless router item to have filled in.

That’s what I meant by not searchable. Unless I’ve set something up incorrectly.

• @mr_beign

the only things it appears to list are from the logins category,

Correct, only logins are offered for filling information. You would need to copy the password from within 1Password and paste it if you used the Wireless Router section. Which is what I use while traveling. While I am at home, and among family members, I tend to use Apple Wifi password sharing. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-a-wi-fi-password-on-mac-mchlp1179/mac

I figure we're mostly talking out and about here.

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member

Apple WiFi password sharing is one of my favorite iOS features 😃

However it assumes the password is being shared to someone who also has an iOS device and both people are at the same location.

I’m trying to get my extended family to be more security conscious with their digital lives. Just trying to put together a workflow for certain tasks for them that makes things as easy as possible. Explaining to my mom how to copy and paste would be challenging. Some aren’t tech savvy.

Getting them to start using 1password and be on my family plan has advantages for me to be able to support them even when I’m not with them.

• @mr_beign

However it assumes the password is being shared to someone who also has an iOS device and both people are at the same location.

Yes, indeed.

I’m trying to get my extended family to be more security conscious with their digital lives. Just trying to put together a workflow for certain tasks for them that makes things as easy as possible.

I have been there and sadly given up with one relative. We pick it up on holidays and so forth maybe one day he will let me help. He has been easier to work with lately.

Explaining to my mom how to copy and paste would be challenging. Some aren’t tech savvy.

Understood, I have an elderly friend who for the life of me cannot grasp (any) password managers.

Getting them to start using 1password and be on my family plan has advantages for me to be able to support them even when I’m not with them.

I would highly recommend it for account recovery at the very least.

If you come up with some good ideas and you have the time, perhaps put them down here for others who may come along?

• Nebes
    Nebes
    Community Member

I also would like to be able to search categories other than logins. Most often for me it's when setting up, or resetting an IoT device. I need to enter the Wi-Fi password in the app, but being limited to logins means the usual flow goes something like:
    1. Select Wi-Fi password field
    2. Accidentally select and autofill iCloud keychain password for the app itself
    2. Select 1P after failing the iCloud autofill
    3. Type in crazy–long MP
    4. Retype crazy–long MP because I went too fast the first time
    5. Scroll through passwords wondering if can't find it because I named the IoT SSID something odd
    6. Remember that Wi-Fi passwords can't be accessed for autofill
    7. Open 1P and repeat steps 3 & 4 since 1P doesn't unlock while autofilling
    8. Finally copy the Wi-Fi password
    9. Switch back to the original app to have it refresh and start the pairing process all over.
    10. Eventually have a fully set up device.

I realize only two of those steps are directly due to 1P, but not having to leave an app to find a piece of information that's already been stored would be amazing. As a frequent traveler the same goes for being able to search other records, like passport numbers. It makes sense to default to logins since that is what is needed the majority of the time, but it doesn't really make sense to hide all the other entries in the process.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback @Nebes!

• MCSquared
    MCSquared
    Community Member

@Nebes You could also add tags to the entry for your WiFi info such as “WiFi,” “Home,” etc. then all you have to do is search the tag and it will be much quicker to find

• vonProteus
    vonProteus
    Community Member

hi
    don't know if this it the right thread but i have feature request regarding WiFi
    can we have qr generator in 1P similar to this one https://qifi.org/ in wireless router category

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That is also a good suggestion :+1:

This discussion has been closed.