2FA setup not working on GitHub.com

jeffmcml0527
jeffmcml0527
Community Member

I started the 2FA setup on github.com, and specified to use an authenticator app. I set up a One-Time password field in my github account, using the main 1Password application. Then I clicked the button to scan the code, and dragged the window over the code from github. However, nothing happens. I can send you a screenshot if you wish but I don't want to store it in the Forum.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:2fa setup not working on GitHub.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jeffmcml0527!

You are welcome to send us the screenshot via email if you prefer, at support+forum@agilebits.com :+1:

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Hey @jeffmcml0527

In addition to what Ana said, this is a common confusion if using the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Did you perhaps download 1Password from the Mac App Store? If so, you'd need to drag the QR code to the scanner, not the other way around.

Please let us know.

Ben

• jeffmcml0527
    jeffmcml0527
    Community Member

Ana & Ben,

I attached the screenshot. I have set up many other accounts with 1Password on MacOS 10.15.5 using Safari or Chrome. The window clearly says to drag it over the code, not the other way around. In any case, dragging the code does not work in either Safari or Chrome. The screenshot is using Safari 13.1.1.

I believe I downloaded the app from 1password.com. I wonder why you would have one version that works differently from another.

Jeff

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jeffmcml0527:

I believe I downloaded the app from 1password.com. I wonder why you would have one version that works differently from another.

The Mac App Store version of 1Password had to be changed after Apple modified their policy, so we had to remove the capability from there. We don't have the same limitation on the version of the 1Password app that we publish directly on our website.

If you open your 1Password app and select 1Password from the menu bar > About 1Password, what does it show there? I think it's possible that you are actually running the version of the app from the Mac App Store, and that window should confirm this.

This discussion has been closed.