Changed PW, new PW shows in 1Pass record, but search for the old PW still finds changed record

Options
DHK
DHK
Community Member

I received a scary email to an old email account that still exists, but I don't use, and have forwarded to the email I currently use. The subject line was a password that I reused years ago, but with 1Pass, have changed on all the accounts I use (and currently use 30 character PWs with numbers and special characters).

I decided to go through the few accounts left that have this reused password, and did a full search on that password in the main 1Pass program and successfully changed the pw on that first account to match my new standards. When I redid the search on the old PW in 1Pass it still shows the account that I changed, even though I can't find that pw in the record. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1Pass

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @DHK

I'd be happy to help with that.

1Password keeps a history of the passwords you've used for each item. You should be able to see those entries by selecting 'View Password History':

I hope that helps!

Ben

• DHK
    DHK
    Community Member
    Options

I thought that was the case.... maybe I was looking for it in edit mode... it seems to disappear then. How do I delete the old password? Thanks

• Ben
    Options

You don't, generally. It wouldn't be much of a history if it didn't keep those records. ;) Beyond exporting the item, removing the history data from the export, importing it, and then deleting the original... I'm not aware of another way to remove it, off-hand.

Ben

• DHK
    DHK
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again... I found a reason to be able to delete an old pw... or at least have an option to make it unsearchable. I have too many repeat passwords from the bad old days that are on accounts I haven't used since the "bad old days"... : ) When I search on the accounts that have this pw I get hits on accounts that have it in history, I guess I'll have to go to your list of reused pw and try and do searching from there.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DHK:

I have too many repeat passwords from the bad old days that are on accounts I haven't used since the "bad old days"

You could also consider moving these items to a separate vault, and exclude that vault from your search results. If these are accounts that you haven't used in such a long time, perhaps this is an option that might work for you.

• DHK
    DHK
    Community Member
    Options

Nice idea, but many of these are current accounts that I have changed the password on when I got smarter. I'll live with it... this is a one time problem as I go through the list. Thanks for the reply.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood. And you are welcome @DHK.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.