Chrome, Autosave Except On the Following Domains

Options

I have certain websites where I prefer not to use 1Password, and I'm having trouble keeping the Chrome plugin from asking me to save those passwords when I enter them. One such URL is 'mc.manuscriptcentral.com/uti', In the plugin settings, I've entered the url in exactly that format on the exceptions list. I've also entered it as 'https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/uti'. I still get the plugin popping up when I enter the password myself. Am I not using the proper syntax?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: membership

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dimdem!

Can you try using just manuscriptcentral.com?

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I'll try it. However, and maybe this turns into a feature request, for me the bit after the slash is important. I have about 15 different accounts with manuscript central, with different passwords. This is pretty typical for college professors, because lots of academic journals use the site, and they all have the same main URL. It's the bit that comes after the slash that differentiates them. In my ideal world, at least, 1Password would treat all of these differently.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dimdem:

I see. So you would like 1Password to always prompt you to save credentials on that domain, just not on the "/uti" section? That would be the only exception, correct?

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member
    Options

Ideally, yes. (This section is for a journal that I edit myself, which is why I have different behavior for it.) Relatedly, it would be convenient if when I tried to log in to one of the other sections, the extension went right to the password for that specific section instead of giving me a list of all of the passwords associated with the domain and making me hunt. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @dimdem, noted :+1:

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member
    Options

I still get the plugin popping up after adding 'manuscriptcentral.com' (no quotes) to the exclusion list.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dimdem:

I have just tested this in 1Password for Windows, and after adding 'manuscriptcentral.com' in my settings, the popup stopped appearing for me, so the settings should work for you too.

Can you confirm what browser you are using, and the current version of the 1Password extension? In your first post you wrote that you are using extension 4.7.5.90, can you confirm that too?

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member
    Options

I am using Chrome 83.0.4103.116. The extension version is correct. So that I'm clear, did you set up an account and login?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dimdem:

It's not necessary to have an account to test this: I went on the website, entered something in the username and password field, and clicked on the Login button. 1Password prompted me to save these credentials.

Then I went to the settings, added the domain to the exclusion list, and tried logging in again the same way. This time, the 1Password prompt did not appear, as expected. So to test this behavior, you don't need to actually have an account to login.

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I see. If it matters, here is my procedure. Because I enter this website a lot and don't consider the password high risk, I have the password saved in Chrome itself. So my password and username are already populated when I go to the site and I just hit Login. I wouldn't expect this difference to be significant, since I wouldn't expect 1Password to know whether I typed the Password in manually or not, but I mention it just in case.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dimdem:

That might actually be the cause of this. When you use 1Password in a browser, we recommend disabling the built-in password manager in the browser to avoid interference:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

If you temporarily disable this feature on that website, do things work as expected for you too?

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, with that feature disabled, and with the password for this site deleted from Chrome altogether, I still get the popup.

• Is 1Password locked when you see this pop-up, @dimdem? Because the exclusions list does include some personal information – namely, sites for which you have an account, even if you don't have them saved in 1Password – it's stored encrypted. This means even 1Password itself cannot read it while 1Password is locked so it will prompt you to save out of an abundance of caution. Logic being that it's better to ask you to save when you don't want to than miss saving a possibly generated password or changed password for a site when you do want to save. If 1Password is locked, try unlocking first, then sign in. Does 1Password ask to save?

This discussion has been closed.