Confused about Master PW and Account Logon PW

Options
canoe
canoe
Community Member

Hi,

In v6 the Master PW unlocked the vault(s). I've updated to v7 and created the online 1P account. When doing so it asked for a Master PW.

Is the logon PW for the website now the same as the Master PW for the vaults? If so, why us the Master PW being sent over the web?

I must be missing something.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @canoe!

Is the logon PW for the website now the same as the Master PW for the vaults?

If you choose the same one that you have been using for your local vaults, yes.

If so, why us the Master PW being sent over the web?

It's not sent over the web. Please see this answer from our security team about this ;)

• canoe
    canoe
    Community Member
    Options

"If you choose the same one that you have been using for your local vaults, yes."

Can I choose to have different PWs for the vaults and for the logon? If so, how?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@canoe:

Can I choose to have different PWs for the vaults and for the logon?

Vaults use the same Master Password that you use for your 1Password account. You cannot choose different passwords for each vault.

However, you can choose a different Master Password for your new 1Password account than the one you have been using to unlock the app until now. The problem in your case is that you are still using your old 1Password vault: once you create your 1Password account and move your existing data there, you will remove your old Primary vault with your old Master Password. This way, your 1Password app and your 1Password account will once again use the same Master Password.

If so, how?

When you sign up for a 1Password account in the browser, choose a different Master Password, the one you want.

• canoe
    canoe
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I think it would be best for me to export all my vault items, completely delete 1P from the system, install 7, then import the items into the new install. I assume 1P v7 will flawlessly import vault items from a export of 1P v6?

Do you know where on a Mac any files are kept outside of the 1P program itself?

If it matters...

I'm using:
    1Password
    Version 6.8.9 (689000)
    Mac App Store

On a:
    Mac OS 10.15.5

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@canoe:

There might be a simpler approach: where is your data currently stored? In other words, have you been syncing your data using something like iCloud or Dropbox in your existing 1Password app?

• canoe
    canoe
    Community Member
    Options

I have the Primary vault synced to iCoud and two other vaults not synced.

I have no issue with digging thru the Library or other locations for supporting files that need to be deleted.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@canoe:

If you install 1Password 7 alongside 1Password 6, it should automatically pick up all the existing vaults and configure it for you. The only thing I see in your configuration is that you downloaded 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store, so if you download 1Password 7 from our website, it might not be able to configure itself automatically since the website and the App Store version use different data folders.

Are you able to download 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store and install it alongside the existing 1Password app?

• canoe
    canoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana,

I found the 1P instructions for a total uninstall and that is what I did. Although, even those instructions were somewhat incomplete. I'd been a v4 and v6 customer so there were a number of extraneous files in my system.

Once I deleted everything, AFTER I exported all my "Items", I installed v7. I was able to import my items into new vaults and all seems well now.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sincerely,

-md

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @canoe! I am glad I could help, and thank you for the update!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.