My cell phone says that 1pw website was compromised, and i should change pword.

hjhermans
hjhermans
Community Member

My PC (Windows 10) does not mention this at all. What should i believe?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My cell phone says that 1pw website was compromised, and i should change pword.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hjhermans!

It's possible that you have Watchtower enabled in your 1Password app on your Android phone, but not on the Windows app. Can you confirm this is the case?

In any case, if Watchtower on your Android phone tells you that a website has been compromised, you should change the password for that website.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Thanks for quick reply. Don't have watchtower installed on PC. Don't know what it is. Have Mcafee on PC. Will change password, but wonder why 1PW does not warn customers when their site is compromised even if I don't have Watchtower on my PC? Use 1pw VERY seldom on cell phone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hjhermans:

Thanks for quick reply. Don't have watchtower installed on PC. Don't know what it is. Have Mcafee on PC.

For clarification, Watchtower is not an app that you install. It's a 1Password feature that you can enable in the settings:

Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

Will change password, but wonder why 1PW does not warn customers when their site is compromised even if I don't have Watchtower on my PC? Use 1pw VERY seldom on cell phone.

Where is this notification coming from exactly? Our site has not been compromised, so it's normal that you would not have received a notification for it. Can you maybe post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Tried to get a screenshot, but 1pw tells me that screenshot is not permitted.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hjhermans:

Can you then tell us what is the URL of this Login item in 1Password, for which you are seeing this notification? Watchtower notifications depend on the website URL, so that will also help understand what you are seeing.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

it's for the 1pw support item (website discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin. But the strange thing is that after i changed the pw for that item, it still shows on the cellphone along with my obsolete pw.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@hjhermans:

It is possible that you are referring to the announcement from some months ago where Vanilla forums required a password change for every user.

I am not aware of this notification happening in Watchtower however, so I still suspect that you are seeing it somewhere else.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Am running 1PW Android version 7.6, and version 7.4.767 on my PC. All i know is that my cellphone shows the 1PW support item as pointing to a 'compromised website'. The website is https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin . The PC version does not show it as a compromised site. The cellphone settings have 'compromised sites' enabled for watchtower. My PC only flags that item as having a duplicated password.

The watchtower report refers, as you note, to a Nov 2019 incident with vanilla forums. So, that leaves me with the original question which you answered in that my PC apparently does not have watchtower. Is that an option? if so, how do i configure it?

Thanks
    Hans

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hjhermans:

The instructions to configured Watchtower are in my post above. Here is the link again for your convenience:

Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

If you expand the Windows section of that article, you will see the instructions specific to enable Watchtower in 1Password for Windows. Quoting from that article:

To manage your Watchtower settings, choose 1Password > Settings > Watchtower.

So I would recommend to make sure that Watchtower is enabled in your 1Password app on your Windows PC too.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Thanks. I do have Watchtower on my pc and it is configured to notify me of compromises. Can't explain why the PC and cellphone are different, but I think this has gone far enough and i don't want you to waste any more time on this issue. Thanks for the help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hjhermans:

Not a problem at all, I am here to help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.