macos update killed 1password

nuttycommander
nuttycommander
Community Member

so i updated my desktop to catalina 10.15.5 and know 1password will not load :-( please tell me theres a fix or my two options is to downgrade back to high sierra or switch to bitwarden
have owned 1 password ever since roboform went to a subscription base
and i have been very happy with it so far i use it with dropbox use it with my desktop mac my macbook pro and my iphone
i can no longer use it on my pc because of dropbox (wont allow more then three connections) so i have been using bitwarden im hoping this issue can be fixed so i don't have to leave 1password behind like i did with roboform
thank you

1Password Version: unknown wont let me access it
Extension Version: unknown wont let me access it
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nuttycommander! Welcome to the forum!

so i updated my desktop to catalina 10.15.5 and know 1password will not load

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "will not load"? Does the app not open at all anymore? Do you mean that it just keeps bouncing forever in the dock? Or something else entirely?

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nuttycommander:

Thank you for the screenshot! I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from this Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

ok

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

so theres this now lol

• @nuttycommander

Could you please check:

1. Are there any other non-Apple applications that you're having trouble opening?
    2. Is the system time, date, and timezone on your computer accurate?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Ben

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

hi ben
    when i did update mac os told me there were two programs that needed to be upgraded to work with this new os
    both arent needed to i just uninstalled them so everything seems to be working fine so far
    i did check the time date and time zone and there correct

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

i did get this error also

• @nuttycommander

Thanks for sticking with us and answering our questions. I'm confident we'll be able to get to the bottom of this. I appreciate your patience. The next thing I'd like to ask you to try would be to start your Mac in Safe Mode, and see if you can open either 1Password or the 1Password Troubleshooting tool there. Instructions from Apple on how to boot in Safe Mode can be found here:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Do either of the apps launch as expected in Safe Mode?

Ben

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

im on it ben thanks

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

ok I tired rebooting in safe mode a few times and still 1password and the trouble shooter not working

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

just so were on the same page this is the App Store 1password not 1password7

• @nuttycommander

Thank you for trying. I have two further ideas:

1. Check System Preferences > Security > General > Allow apps downloaded from and make sure it is set to App Store and identified developers.
    2. This may be an issue with the file system permissions on your Mac. I found an article on the blog "How to macOS" that seems to identify the same symptoms you're describing as well as a potential fix: https://howtomacos.com/2019/02/24/fix-the-application-cant-be-opened-on-mac/
      This is a 3rd party article and so we'd recommend caution following the steps outlined.

Ben

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

thank you ben ill look into this later today ill let you know how it turns out

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good :+1: :)

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

well i tried everything i could think of and every thing you ask me to do but nothing worked so i'm just going to start using bitwarden on all my systems 1password will be missed to bad you guys allowed greed to ruin a great software but ill never switch to a subscription model
    thank you for trying to help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@nuttycommander:

Sorry to hear this! I am sad to see you go but I certainly understand if you want to use something else. If you change your mind and would like to resolve this specific issue, please let us know, you know that we are always available to help you no matter how long it takes.

If you don't want a subscription, that is totally fine too: we also offer standalone licenses if you prefer. At the end of the day however, by all means you should choose what makes you happy with the choice.

Whatever you end up choosing, please continue using a password manager and stay safe online!

• nuttycommander
    nuttycommander
    Community Member

hi i don't want to stop using 1password but i don't see how this will be fixed it seems to be an os issue and if your not gonna update your software because your pushing customers to your subscription version what am i to do?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020

@nuttycommander

I do apolgize for the situation but I agree this seems to be an issue outside of 1Password itself. As such we're limited in terms of what we're able to do. I don't believe that any update we could include in 1Password would help this situation. We've exhausted all of the troubleshooting ideas that we've been able to come up with thus far. I wish I had a better answer, but I think if you want to pursue this further you may need to take the issue up with Apple.

The two things are totally separate, but membership is the way forward for 1Password. If that model doesn't fit with your usage then it may be time to consider alternative options regardless of the technical issue here.

With a membership we would have alternative means of working around the technical issue, such as 1Password X, which is a browser extension that does not rely on 1Password for Mac being installed. That extension does not work with standalone vaults.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.