3 Problems with 1Password for Windows

Robs
Robs
Community Member

As a longtime 1Password user I enjoy using it on every plattform. But since one of the last 1Password for Windows updates I have three small, but annoying problems with it:

1. The small 1Password windows, where you unlock 1Password always opens in a different spot on the screen. This is annoying as I don't know where to expect my 1Password window to open.

2. If I another app opens or when you click on another window, when the small 1Password unlock window is open, it disappears to the background (as expected) BUT the symbol in the taskbar also disappears (not the small symbol beside the clock, but the icon beside the Start Menu button)! Then I have to go to the start menu again to open 1Password instead of just simply clicking on the 1Password symbol in the Task Bar to bring it to the foreground again. (This happens when the 1Password icon is not locked to the task bar)

3. When I have a site open in Firefox where I want to login with 1Password, when 1Password is not unlocked, the unlock window appears, but after unlocking it does not show me the Login information for the site I have currently open. I have to close the 1Password window and open it again, so that it shows me the login information for the site I'm currently on.

Thank you. Best regards,
Robert

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (2004)
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Robs!

The small 1Password windows, where you unlock 1Password always opens in a different spot on the screen. This is annoying as I don't know where to expect my 1Password window to open.

It should open in the last place where you last put it, unless I am mistaken. Where does it open the first time after you reboot your computer, for example?

If I another app opens or when you click on another window, when the small 1Password unlock window is open, it disappears to the background (as expected) BUT the symbol in the taskbar also disappears (not the small symbol beside the clock, but the icon beside the Start Menu button)! Then I have to go to the start menu again to open 1Password instead of just simply clicking on the 1Password symbol in the Task Bar to bring it to the foreground again. (This happens when the 1Password icon is not locked to the task bar)

I wonder if using the keyboard shortcut to open 1Password mini would help you here. By default, it's Ctrl + Alt + backslash on Windows, so you don't have to go look for the 1Password app every time.

When I have a site open in Firefox where I want to login with 1Password, when 1Password is not unlocked, the unlock window appears, but after unlocking it does not show me the Login information for the site I have currently open. I have to close the 1Password window and open it again, so that it shows me the login information for the site I'm currently on.

When you unlock 1Password, what do you see there? You said that you don't see the information for the website that is currently open, so what do you see instead?

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member

It should open in the last place where you last put it, unless I am mistaken. Where does it open the first time after you reboot your computer, for example?

It seems it always opens to the right side of the mouse curser. I would love to have an option so that the unlock window always opens in the middle of the screen.

I wonder if using the keyboard shortcut to open 1Password mini would help you here. By default, it's Ctrl + Alt + backslash on Windows, so you don't have to go look for the 1Password app every time.

That could help. But since it's not common in Windows, that apps in the background loose their icon in the Task Bar I consider this a bug.

When you unlock 1Password, what do you see there? You said that you don't see the information for the website that is currently open, so what do you see instead?

It opens 1Password Mini and it shows all my stored Logins and not just the Login for the site I'm on.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Robs,

It seems it always opens to the right side of the mouse curser.

That is correct: the lock screen will always open next to your mouse cursor. I will forward your suggestion to our team for further consideration.

If I another app opens or when you click on another window, when the small 1Password unlock window is open, it disappears to the background (as expected) BUT the symbol in the taskbar also disappears (not the small symbol beside the clock, but the icon beside the Start Menu button)! Then I have to go to the start menu again to open 1Password instead of just simply clicking on the 1Password symbol in the Task Bar to bring it to the foreground again. (This happens when the 1Password icon is not locked to the task bar)

That could help. But since it's not common in Windows, that apps in the background loose their icon in the Task Bar I consider this a bug.

When you click 1Password icon in the system tray, 1Password launches a process for the lock screen. This is a separate process, which gets closed if you switch to another application. This is a security measure.

You can learn more about this behaviour of 1Password 7 for Windows in this reply from Mike in a similar thread.

--

When I have a site open in Firefox where I want to login with 1Password, when 1Password is not unlocked, the unlock window appears, but after unlocking it does not show me the Login information for the site I have currently open. I have to close the 1Password window and open it again, so that it shows me the login information for the site I'm currently on.

Could you please open 1Password 7 for Windows and go to Settings > General > Keyboard shortcuts, and tell me what shortcuts you have for "Show 1Password mini" and "Fill Login or show 1Password"? Which of these shortcuts you use to open 1Password in Firefox now?

Thanks in advance! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member

When you click 1Password icon in the system tray, 1Password launches a process for the lock screen. This is a separate process, which gets closed if you switch to another application. This is a security measure.

You can learn more about this behaviour of 1Password 7 for Windows in this reply from Mike in a similar thread.

Thank you for the explanation.

Could you please open 1Password 7 for Windows and go to Settings > General > Keyboard shortcuts, and tell me what shortcuts you have for "Show 1Password mini" and "Fill Login or show 1Password"? Which of these shortcuts you use to open 1Password in Firefox now?

Show 1Password Mini: Ctrl+Alt+#

Fill Login or show 1Password: Ctrl+#

Maybe of interest for this: I have deactivated the Automatically Login after Filling Username and Password
    (Because in the past I had cases on some sites where 1Password filled the Username and Password into the wrong fields).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Robs,

Show 1Password Mini: Ctrl+Alt+#

Fill Login or show 1Password: Ctrl+#

Could you please specify which shortcut you use to open 1Password in Firefox now? Is it CTRL + ALT + #?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member

I use the right ALT+# keyboard shortcut in Firefox

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Robs: If you use CTRL + ALT + #, it means that you open 1Password mini. When you do it, 1Password mini shows you the list of all items in your vault by default.

If you want to see (and fill) the item for the website that you are currently on in the browser, please try to use Ctrl+# instead. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member

If you want to see (and fill) the item for the website that you are currently on in the browser, please try to use Ctrl+# instead. Let me know how it goes.

That does what I want. Thank you

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Robs: You are very welcome! :) I am glad to hear I was able to help.

Feel free to reach out to us anytime, we are always here for you.

Stay safe and be well,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.