Can 1Password fill user name and passwords in Windows desktop application?

Some desktop applications such as Quicken require a user name and/or password when starting up the application. Right now I am copying this information from 1Password X and pasting into the application. Can 1Password automate this process for me?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 10.0.18362
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can 1Password fill user name and passwords in Windows desktop application?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RamonaSteve! Welcome to the forum!

1Password cannot completely automate this process for you inside desktop apps, but it can help you make the process simpler using drag and drop ;)

• RamonaSteve
    RamonaSteve
    Community Member

Thank you. This definitely helps.

Lastpass has a feature in their desktop application that attempts to fill in user IDs and Passwords for desktop apps. I have not found it to be too reliable, but it is definitely a good idea. Does 1Password have any plans to implement such a feature? Do you have an forum to request or up-vote features?

Thank you again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @RamonaSteve ,

The 1Password desktop app can try and fill in apps for you, but you'll have to manually specify and tell it which field to fill in which app:
    1. Open the 1Password 7 desktop app.
    2. Right click the login entry you'd like to autofill in the app and select either the username, password or "more" fields from the menu that pops up.
    3. Select the window you'd like to type it in from the list of options.

I do feel like drag and drop is much easier than this though :chuffed:

There aren't any plans to implement such a feature in the near future as far as I know because it is technically very hard to accomplish. We're able to autofill in your browser because your browser contains an extension that we built for that purpose. Other apps that are not browsers do not offer this ability.

Apple has just announce that their new operating system will support autofilling in apps, which is a completely new thing (how did this not exist until now?!), perhaps Windows will follow in the future and will allow such a feature to exist.

This discussion has been closed.