How are uploaded documents stored in 1P?

Options

Hello,
1. There are instances, not for the majority of my data files by any stretch, when I would like to have a document stored in 1P & then be deleted on my system.
2. To that point, are documents uploaded into a Document Card actually moved into 1P or is only a link created between them?
3. If they are Moved & not just Linked in a Document Card, can they be opened & edited n 1P or do they have to be downloaded back to my system to be edited?
4. If the latter, I’m assuming that if any edits are made to a downloaded doc that that doc would then have to be re-uploaded back into 1P for the edits to be seen. Is that correct?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MS Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @55208wcgk!

1. To that point, are documents uploaded into a Document Card actually moved into 1P or is only a link created between them?

Files are uploaded to 1Password, they are not simply linked.

1. If they are Moved & not just Linked in a Document Card, can they be opened & edited n 1P or do they have to be downloaded back to my system to be edited?

At the moment, they must be downloaded on your system and edited there.

1. If the latter, I’m assuming that if any edits are made to a downloaded doc that that doc would then have to be re-uploaded back into 1P for the edits to be seen. Is that correct?

Correct :+1:

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Ana. Most grateful for the quick response. Have a great weekend.

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Ana, one more question, please: is there a way to upload multiple docs to a document card or is there a one file limit? Thanks

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Two more questions please:

1st question - is there a way to upload multiple docs to a document card or is there a one file limit?

2nd question - is there either an individual document size or a total storage limit per account?

Thanks again!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@55208wcgk:

Ana, one more question, please: is there a way to upload multiple docs to a document card or is there a one file limit? Thanks

There is currently a one file limit. If you want to add multiple files in a single entry, you could consider creating a zip file and adding that to a Document item.

2nd question - is there either an individual document size or a total storage limit per account?

The limit is 1 GB for personal and Families accounts, and 5 GB (per user) for Business accounts.

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any mechanism within 1P to track storage limit? Thanks, Ana.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not at the moment @55208wcgk, but we can check that for you: if you reach out to us via email, we can take a look and send you an update any time you need one :+1:

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Appreciate the offer, Ana but know your folks have better things to do. Having such a counter/trap would be far more productive for me. Plus it would just plain be a far more convenient way to get data on demand. That said, I really do think your app is fantastic. Great job! Thanks again.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ana you are very welcome, @55208wcgk! :)

Please let us know if you have other questions, we are always ready to help you with 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.