Vault master password appears in iOS Keychain; Why?

Options
vjcinajr
vjcinajr
Community Member

I am a long time 1Password user and I convinced my friends to subscribe to 1Password on their Apple devices (iPhone, iPad and Mac). Today they asked me a question that I could not answer. They noticed that there vault master password appears in their Apple iCloud Keychain (displayed in iOS via Settinge->Passwords&Accounts->Web Site&App passwords; associated with the 1Password.com and my.1password.com web logins). They want to continue to use iClout keychain in addition to 1Password.

They were concerned that this (master password displayed in keychain) is a security issue. Is there a setting that can prevent this? Is there an explanation as to why this is not a big issue?.

1Password Version: 7.5.3 (on iOS)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.5.1, Mac 10.5.15
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vjcinajr - if iCloud keychain has saved your (or your friends') Master Password it will be because they allowed iOS (or macOS) to save the credentials for a sign-in to 1password.com. We do not store your Master Password anywhere, and therefore we don't (can't) pass it to iCloud keychain. As far as settings, they can go to the Passwords section of Safari Preferences (on macOS) or Settings (iOS) and find any associated 1password.com entries, and manually delete them there.

• vjcinajr
    vjcinajr
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, thanks. Makes sense.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vjcinajr :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.