Can't see my "related items"

kidsalsa
kidsalsa
Community Member

I saved a bunch of information in the "related items" section. For some reason I can't see this information. Instead the field has become uneditable and the information has been replaced by a string of letters and numbers. Please tell me how I can get this fixed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kidsalsa

We'd be happy to help with that. If you sign in at https://my.1password.com/ using a web browser do you see the same issue? Also do you recall any changes you've made to the items in question between the last time they worked and now?

Please let me know.

Ben

• kidsalsa
    kidsalsa
    Community Member

Yes it is the same in a web browser. I don't remember making any changes.

• Thanks @kidsalsa. The only thing we've been able to think of that would cause this would be moving either or both of the items (the source or the destination) to a different vault. When moving items that are linked the links have to be re-established.

Ben

• kidsalsa
    kidsalsa
    Community Member

What is the resolution in this sort of situation? (It's possible it was moved to a different vault. I don't remember.)

• @kidsalsa

You would need to remove the existing (broken) links and re-link the items. Note that items cannot be linked across vaults, so if the items you want to link together are no longer in the same vault as each other that would not be possible. You'd need to move one of them such that they are.

I'm sorry there isn't a more automated process for this.

Ben

• kidsalsa
    kidsalsa
    Community Member

Ben, you are referring to "links" but the information stored in the fields of the "Related Items" section are not urls. So if you are referring to some other type of link please explain this. What appears to have happened is that my notes in this particular item (only some of them, not all of them) are encrypted for some reason and not being decrypted when I view the item.

• @kidsalsa

The information that is stored in the "Related Items" section is an item identifier. This is what is used in 1Password to link one item to another: the item's ID. The IDs look something like mctbdi4tyjfrxpmjpuxyccxp63, but when the is working you don't see that. When the link is working, you see the title that you've assigned to that item. If the item no longer exists, and thus the link is broken, you may see the ID. Moving an item to a different vault causes a new ID to be generated for that item, and as such any items that try to link to it will no longer be able to. 1Password shows a warning indicating that this will be the case:

Additionally only items within the same vault can be linked with each other, so if that is what happened, it won't be possible to re-link the items. Deleting the linked item could also cause this to happen.

If these items now live in different vaults, the only recourse would be to delete the links from the Related Items section. The same would be true if the items have been deleted. If the items are currently in the same vault, you can remove the old (broken) links and add new ones.

Ben

• kidsalsa
    kidsalsa
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking that Related Items held notes I had made, which isn't the case. It simply had references to other items. I had not remembered that I had done this because it was a long time ago. Thanks for your help.

• Gotcha. You're very welcome. Sorry for not clarifying that point sooner. Glad to hear that explanation helped. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.