Problem syncing with iCloud

philj
philj
Community Member

I'm trying to transfer my existing iCloud passwords over to 1Password. According to this https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/, I need to use Preferences. In the diagram provided, there are 10 icons across the top (11 including Advanced), but in my Preferences there are only eight (9 including Advanced). There is no sync option there. Please advise.

Many thanks

Phil

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync icloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @philj! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please clarify something for us? If you are trying to move your existing data to 1Password, why are you referring to the support article about configuring iCloud sync?

If you want to move your existing passwords to a 1Password account, these are the instructions:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

• philj
    philj
    Community Member

Hi ag-ana

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have any existing 1Password data. All my passwords are currently saved in Safari / iCloud Keychain. I want to know how to transfer them across to 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@philj:

I don't have any existing 1Password data. All my passwords are currently saved in Safari / iCloud Keychain. I want to know how to transfer them across to 1Password.

Thank you for the clarification. In this case, the procedure is indeed different and you can import data using the converter suite :+1:

You don't need to setup sync via iCloud for this: just run the converter and import it into your 1Password account ;)

• philj
    philj
    Community Member

OK so I've got my existing Safari passwords into a file called pm_export.csv

The next step is to run the macOSConvertHelper. When I try this it says, "macOSConvertHelper cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified".

What now?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@philj ,

This is the macOS GateKeeper. I don't sign the macOSConverterHelper, since it is just a script. You can override GateKeeper by right-click on macOSConvertHelper and selecting Open, and then Open in the dialog that appears.

Alternatively, you can just run the csv converter manually from the command line. Open the README in a browser following the directions (you've already exported your data, so you can skip the part about running the converter manually from the command line).

• philj
    philj
    Community Member

Sorted. aMany thanks MrC and ag_ana - got there eventually!

• Thanks for the update @philj. Glad to hear it worked out. And thanks @MrC for the assistance. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.