undo "convert to login"

Cowbay
Cowbay
Community Member

I mistakenly hit the "convert to login" button on a password item that I did not want to convert. How can I undo that change? There doesn't appear to be a "convert to password" button on login items.

Also, I have found that I have a number of login items that do not have a website, and so I think they should be converted to password items. How can I do that without losing revision history?

1Password Version: 7.6 BETA-4 (70600004)
Extension Version: 1Password X Beta 1.21.0
OS Version: MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:convert to password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Cowbay!

I mistakenly hit the "convert to login" button on a password item that I did not want to convert. How can I undo that change? There doesn't appear to be a "convert to password" button on login items.

There is no way to convert a login to a password by clicking a button. However, if you want to do that, you can copy the current password value and create a new password item and paste it. You can then remove the duplicate Login item that you don't want.

Also, I have found that I have a number of login items that do not have a website, and so I think they should be converted to password items. How can I do that without losing revision history?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but why would you convert items that don't have a website field into passwords, instead of entering the website information? Also, how would you then know what those logins are for?

• Cowbay
    Cowbay
    Community Member

Thanks, ag_ana,

Examples of items that don't have a website are wifi passwords for wifi networks I sometimes use, passwords for apps that require one, private "secret codes" that are used to encrypt/decrypt disk drives or email messages, and even my 1Password passphrase. There was a time when I didn't understand that login items are just for websites, and passwords are for everything else. Also, when I imported my passwords from my Apple keychain back in March of 2018, many non-website items were imported as logins.

I know what items (logins or passwords) are for, by the names I give them and/or the vault I put them in.

Now that I understand more about how 1Password works, I'm trying to do a major cleanup. I have about 450 items now, in 4 different vaults. By the time I'm done, I think I'll have less than 100 iterms, probably all in a single vault.

The fact that there's no "undo" for a "convert to login" means that I lose the metadata from the original password item, such as creation date and history of changes. I've been using the method you describe above, and I can put some information about what happened, and when, in the notes, but some potentially useful information is lost forever. And that's unfortunate.

• Thanks, @Cowbay. That's valuable feedback. Admittedly I don't think we'd thought of it that way before.

Ben

• Cowbay
    Cowbay
    Community Member

Thanks Ben,
    Does that mean that a change is in the works?
    -- from a dedicated fan and beta tester of 1Password

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not at the moment @Cowbay, but we appreciate the feedback :)

This discussion has been closed.