Older Mac Store version hangs at master password screen after installing 1Password7 (but Mini works)

Options
Tom Harrison
Tom Harrison
Community Member

I installed 1Password7 from the Mac App Store, upgrading from 6.8.8 (Mac App Store). I was able to log in with Master Password and see my 3 vaults. However I had a vault in the old agilekeychain format, and the app needed to convert, which required creating a new vault and importing. But for some reason, the File > New Vault item is greyed out, so I can't do that. I decided to revert to the prior version, so uninstalled 1P7 quit completely, and rebooted. When I started 1P6 on the mac it started ok and presented the Master Password login screen, which accepted my login, but then will not close to display the usual 1P home screen. Interestingly, once I have logged in (even though window is still showing) 1 Password Mini works fine -- I can see items and vaults, etc.

I do not have an account with 1Password.

(A bit of possibly relevant info: I started this because the free version of Dropbox ("Basic") only supports linking to 3 devices, and we had more. This required re-setup of Dropbox, and then relinking Dropbox as the sync target. When I got that sorted, I did a test and found that my iPhone could still sync with iPad, and it would send items to 1Password Mac, but items created on 1Password Mac were not being synced to the other devices. I made sure all devices were set up correctly (dropbox and 1P) and closed/restarted 1Password Mac to force a resync. That's when I decided to install 1P7 from the Mac App Store.)

So my goal is to migrate up to 1P7, continue syncing to Dropbox. To do this I need to find a way to migrate my old agilekeychain vault to the new opvault format (or whatever the new format is).

1Password Version: 6.8.8 Mac Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi @Tom Harrison

I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction here. 1Password 7 is not included with a 1Password 6 purchase. The App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac requires a 1Password membership. It will not work with a license, and licenses are no longer being advertised. This is why you're currently unable to make changes in 1Password 7. The recommended way forward is to upgrade to membership, which gives you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. Unlike with Dropbox there are no limits on the number of devices you can access your data from. You can learn more about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

We have a guide to help existing standalone (non-membership) customers migrate their setups to membership available here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Tom Harrison
    Tom Harrison
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, ok, thanks. At the moment, upgrading to an account doesn't solve my larger problem, which is that my ex-wife and I both have stuff in 1P and we need to separate it, sync to our own dropbox accounts, etc. This isn't hard for me, but I'll need to do the tech support for my wife, which requires a trip to her house and stuff.

Is there a way, for the moment, to get back to 1P6 -- once I plan a time, I'll get her stuff and mine all sorted? As I noted, after having installed 1P7, then going back to 1P6, the Master Password window accepts the password, but never goes away. So that's kind of my immediate problem.

• Tom Harrison
    Tom Harrison
    Community Member
    Options

One other bit of info on the hanging login screen: in the macOS console, system log, I am seeing this message "Jul 9 15:39:16 tharrison 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper[970]: assertion failed: 19F101: libxpc.dylib + 92807 [68D433B6-DCFF-385D-8620-F847FB7D4A5A]: 0x89"

I wonder if uninstalling 1Password7 removed some component also used by 1Password6.

Is there an installer I can use to reinstall 1P6? It doesn't look like it's on the macOS app store any more.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Tom Harrison

You should be able to temporarily downgrade to 1Password 6, yes. Having multiple copies of the 1Password app installed may cause conflicts though, so I'd recommend dragging any currently installed versions of 1Password to the Trash first. Then, in your purchase history in the App Store, you should be able to locate 1Password 6. It is no longer for sale, so it wouldn't be in the main App Store search results, but if you'd purchased it in the past it would still be in the history. :)

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books - Apple Support

Ben

• Tom Harrison
    Tom Harrison
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help on this. So I was able to find the app in history, and did a Control+Option+Quit, then moved 1Password.app to trash (and had already uninstalled 1Password7). Downloaded the 1P6 version from the app store and let it install, then tried again.

Sadly, no change. Interestingly, after being uninstalled and reinstalled, the app remembered my settings -- vaults, etc. This suggests maybe there's something in user settings that could be causing this?

• Tom Harrison
    Tom Harrison
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like I found a solution -- I moved everything in the user Library/Group Containers/XXXXX.com.agilebits/* to a temporary location, reinstalled and bada bing. Other than a few settings, I am back in business with 1P6.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @Tom Harrison! And thank you for the update :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.