(Suggestion/Discussion) Allow other ways to invoke extension sign in

Options
Hacksore
Hacksore
Community Member
edited July 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

As it stands now the only way to invoke the chrome extension popup to login is via the hotkey or click on the extension icon.

Could we get a "Click here to login" button and it could either open a new tab or window to login?

Was definitely something I miss from LastPass as the 1password hotkey sometimes is not always the most efficient at least for me. I'm up for discussion on this one to get more feedback from the community.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hacksore! Welcome to the forum!

If the default keyboard shortcut does not work for you, have you considered changing it to something that you like more? It won't allow you to click on the extension as you say, but I wonder if it might help a little bit.

• Hacksore
    Hacksore
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

So after some long thoughts and wild ideas, I've finally settled on a very good user experience. Since it might be helpful to the rest of the community I figured I'd share my findings.

The best option for an enhanced user experience is to use the Native App with the companion Chrome extension. Now I can either use the hotkey that I've assigned to auto-fill or right-click the field and select 1password.

The silver lining is that even if my vault is locked I can easily enter my master password in the native app and it will just carry on with the fill.

Some final thoughts that maybe could be passed along to the product/dev team to help make this perfect.

Could we also have the little icon injected into the fields as done with the full-featured chrome extension. This could allow the native app to open just as the context menu option does.

The companion app doesn't seem to play too nicely with dark themes as it offers no icon selection configuration

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Hacksore ,

We're glad to hear you found your desired workflow and experience. Your suggestion is the exact opposite of where we are heading. We will add integration to 1Password X, which will allow it to connect to the desktop app, and hopefully that will also answer your needs here just like the old companion extension does right now.

The integration will hopefully also add another way of unlocking, but our main concern is a security related one. The inline menu that shows up inside usernames/password fields enables websites to "hijack" your mouse clicks or even imitate that 1Password popup inside fields, which is why we don't allow unlocking or even showing the Master Password input field inside the webpage.

The future hold great things though, so stay tuned for news on the 1Password X front :)

• Hacksore
    Hacksore
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron That's good to hear that this workflow might still be supported with 1password X. I suppose I will be running with this though until we can get to that future state.

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad you found this info encouraging :)
    And thank you for the feedback and suggestions! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.