Feature Request: Support for Waterfox (64-bit FireFox)

I'd like to request plugin support for Waterfox (64-bit FireFox clone) on 64-bit Windows. All my systems are 64-bit now and Waterfox offers some significant performance benefits over FireFox so I'd like to be able to switch to using it as my primary browser but the lack of a functional 1Password plugin is preventing me doing that (1Password is essential for me)..

Please could you consider this for a future release.

Many thanks,

Chris Jenkins

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Eventually, we'll introduce our new extension architecture (currently running in Safari and Chrome only) for Firefox, too.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    To be clear, Chris, Waterfox probably won't be on the "official list" of supported browsers, but the new extension technology (whenever it's implemented for our extension for Firefox) may increase your chance of getting 1Password to work with such "clone" browsers.
  • ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I think the main issue is that of 64-bit vs. 32-bit. As far as I can see, Waterfox can run existing FireFox plugins if they are built as 64-bit rather than 32-bit. Does your new extension architecture include/accomodate 64-bit plugins? I'm not particularly hung up on using WaterFox specifically; I just want a fully 64-bit browser. My ideal would be that FireFox itself makes the move to 64-bit. 64-bit Windows is so much better than 32-bit in so many ways and more and more software is moving that way.

Anyway, I will 'watch this space' so to speak.

Chris
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    The new extension architecture supports 64-bit browsers, including 64-bit Firefox.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    I'm not aware of any testing of the new extension technology with Firefox in 32- or 64-bit Windows.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    The Firefox extension that is currently in use with 1Password for Mac has 64-bit support. Firefox for Mac has been distributed by default as a 64-bit binary in OS X for quite some time now.

The Firefox extension used in OS X shares the vast majority of its code with the extensions for Safari for Mac and Chrome for Mac. The Safari and Chrome extensions are actually cross-platform now and are being used in both Mac and Windows. The "new" Firefox extension is not yet available for Windows but that is the direction in which we are heading. We don't have a time frame for a specific release, but once it is rolled out, there is not an immediate technical hurdle to it being used in a 64-bit version of Firefox for Windows. Along with David, however, I am also not aware of any testing of the new Firefox extension on Windows yet, so it may be that some other issue precludes the extension from working seamlessly in a 64-bit build of Firefox for Windows, but the issue would not be related to the fact that the application is 64-bit (or, if so, only tangentially related).

In short, we are still traveling through The Land of the Hypotheticals and those beasts can be fickle masters. :)

Cheers,
  • alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    I'll be looking forward to the new Firefox extension in hopes it supports Waterfox, although I hope it doesn't act like the Chrome extension in that it has trouble with certain sites which require auto-submit to be turned off (the current Firefox extension does not do this).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If you have trouble with a specific site, we'd love to know about it. Please create a new thread where we can better assist you with that.
This discussion has been closed.