My old computer crashed and I've installed this on new one but it's not showing my passwords

Options

I had this installed on my MacBook and used it regularly, but the computer crashed and I can't access anything on it. My new computer is Lenovo (not Mac). I've installed it here but it doesn't show my passwords. I only shows 3 items and none of them get me to my passwords. I love this program and want to keep using it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My old computer crashed and I've installed this on new one but it's not showing my passwords

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gailmother,

I am sorry to hear about your MacBook!

I really want to help you get access to your data, but I will need to understand your current setup first. Do you remember how did you use 1Password on your Mac? Did you use a local vault there?

Also, please tell me if you have other devices with 1Password, where you can access all of your data now.

Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• gailmother
    gailmother
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I was away from the computer for a few minutes. I have the app on my android phone also but also cannot access my passwords on it. What do you need to know?

• What we're after here, @gailmother, is figuring out where your passwords were stored on your Mac. Do you recall if you set up syncing on the Mac, perhaps to something like Dropbox or iCloud? If so, does either of those services sound familiar to you?

• gailmother
    gailmother
    Community Member
    Options

I have it installed on my android phone but it doesn't show my passwords there either.

• gailmother
    gailmother
    Community Member
    Options

As far as where I had the one on the MacBook, it must have backed up to the cloud but I don't know how to access that.

• If it was backed up to iCloud, @gailmother, I'm not sure how that would be recoverable without an apple device of some variety. The features used for iCloud syncing aren't available in iCloud for Windows, but my teammates who work more with Apple devices may have some ideas I'm not aware of as someone who almost exclusively uses Windows and Android. I'll make sure to loop one of them in here to get their thoughts.

In the meantime, if you use Dropbox at all, I would still check there, just in case. Open up your Dropbox folder and search for a folder with either agilekeychain or opvault in the name. Those are 1Password vaults and may provide a path to recover that data. Let me know if you find any. :+1:

• gailmother
    gailmother
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - this is Gail's daughter!

She was able to get her Mac hard drive backed up to an external hard drive. We located the following folders within that backup, however there is no data more recent than 2017. She has been using 1Password consistently to store her new logins well after 2017, up until the Mac crash. She has an iCloud account, and we have just gone through the process of making an account recovery request. It will be a few days until she's able to recover that account, due to Apple's policy on requesting recovery via non-Apple/iOS devices. :( I'm hopeful her data is safely stored there.
    1Password.opvault
    Secondary.opvault
    1Password.agilekeychain

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gailmother:

Hello there!

She has an iCloud account, and we have just gone through the process of making an account recovery request. It will be a few days until she's able to recover that account, due to Apple's policy on requesting recovery via non-Apple/iOS devices. :( I'm hopeful her data is safely stored there.

Understood, please let us know how it goes :+1: Hopefully 1Password on the old computer was indeed configured to sync data to iCloud.

• gailmother
    gailmother
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, this is Gail again. I have my login and password now. So how do I locate iCloud to see if I can access 1Password?

• I had a chat with the folks on the Apple team, @gailmother, and there is no process to extract data from iCloud absent an Apple device. If you have any Apple device available, though – iPhone, iPad, even an older Mac – we may have options. We only need the Apple devices as a go-between as well – we'll ultimately move that data to something like Dropbox or a 1Password.com account to get it to your PC. I normally don't suggest this and I would absolutely recommend caution in doing this as well as close guidance from us to ensure proper cleanup, but if your daughter or another family member has an Apple device they'd allow you to use for that purpose, we can do this using that device as well. Keep in mind, though, that all of your 1Password data will be on their device for a time so you have to be comfortable with that. We will, of course, help you remove it once it's somewhere accessible to your PC, but it's important to be aware of all the same so you understand the risks.

This discussion has been closed.