Why do I have 3 1PW icons?

garyaustin
garyaustin
Community Member

I'm using Firefox browser (77). In the upper right corner of the browser, there are two 1PW icons: one is the blue ring and lock, the other is just a black and white keyhole. Then, at the top of my Mac screen, there is yet another icon, another keyhole but with a second ring around it. If I need a password and click on either of the simple keyholes, I get the choice of code or fingerprint and I take fingerprint. The blue icon, I have to put in the code, there is no option to take a fingerprint. Yet, that one will usually open on the right login, while the simple keyhole icons will just open at the top of the logins list. Seems like there should be 1 icon and it would open with a fingerprint to the right login, but that's probably just a dream. Someone must know what's going on here.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @garyaustin!

In the upper right corner of the browser, there are two 1PW icons: one is the blue ring and lock, the other is just a black and white keyhole.

It sounds like you installed both of the 1Password extensions: the companion browser extension (which requires the desktop app to work), and 1Password X (which works entirely in the browser). You don't need both, you can just use the one you prefer.

Then, at the top of my Mac screen, there is yet another icon, another keyhole but with a second ring around it.

This is 1Password mini, it's connected to the main desktop app and allows you to access your data quickly without having to open the desktop app.

• garyaustin
    garyaustin
    Community Member

Thanks. I see I do have both installed, but I can't tell which is which from the Firefox extension page. Do you happen to know which one reads the fingerprint for open? Or which goes directly to the right login and which just goes to the top of the list? The icons on Firefox and the one on the Mac memory bar don't look like the ones on the Firefox extension page.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@garyaustin:

I see I do have both installed, but I can't tell which is which from the Firefox extension page. Do you happen to know which one reads the fingerprint for open?

The companion browser extension (desktop app required) is the one that supports Touch ID out of the box.

You can also use Touch ID with the other extension (1Password X), but you need the beta extension in that case, so I am not sure if that is the version you would like.

Or which goes directly to the right login and which just goes to the top of the list?

Both of them go directly to the right login when you only have one login for the website. Also both of them show you the list of logins in case you have more than one for a website, so from this point of view they behave in a similar way ;)

• garyaustin
    garyaustin
    Community Member

There is only one login for all of the websites I sign into. Not going to the right login is consistent with every website when I use the simple b&w keyhole icon, either on the memory bar or in the browser. When I use the blue ringed with lock icon in the browser, it goes to the right login but won't let me use a fingerprint. I would rather be able to open with a fingerprint and have to scroll down through the logins in 1PW but I don't know which is which. Guess I will just kill one of the extensions and see which one I get.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@garyaustin:

Not going to the right login is consistent with every website when I use the simple b&w keyhole icon, either on the memory bar or in the browser.

Make sure that your settings are configured to show you Suggestions instead of All Items, so 1Password will only show you the right logins. In the 1Password extension, make sure the dropdown is configured to Suggestions:

Guess I will just kill one of the extensions and see which one I get.

You can do that too, yes. Or you can disable 1Password X as per my previous post, since it sounds like that's the one you don't want.

• garyaustin
    garyaustin
    Community Member

I disabled 1PW X Firefox extension, leaving the 1PW desktop extension. The latter is the one that will take my fingerprint from my MacBook Air. Then, I went into Preferences from the extension box and changed it to open with "Suggestions" instead of "All Items". That seems to have done the trick. I can now open 1PW with my fingerprint and it goes to the correct login. Thanks for your help.

• I'm glad to hear that sorted it out, @garyaustin! If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.