Suggestions for App-Logins

Gerrit78
Gerrit78
Community Member

Hi! I have a question about the "Suggestions" and the login to apps:

How can I tell 1Password Mini which password to suggest for a specific app?

e.g. I want to login to the app "tunnelblick". 1Password Mini says "no Suggestions for 'tunnelblick'".

Can I enter something in the corresponding login so that 1Password recognizes it as login for tunnelblick (or another app) and suggests it?

Best regards, Gerrit

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gerrit78! Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can do this now, we added this feature in the last update :)

1Password mini suggestions now include items for the foreground application if they include app:// as a website entry.

• Gerrit78
    Gerrit78
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana ! Thank you for your quick answer.

Do I understand correctly that the application I am using (here: "tunnelblick") would have to provide the value "app://", and I would have to enter this value in the "Website" field in the login? And in my case the application currently only provides the value "tunnelblick“.

In this case I can't do anything but the application has to support 1Password ( respectively provide the right format/fields), right?

1Password already recognizes the name of the application - why can't it use this name for suggestions?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@Gerrit78:

Do I understand correctly that the application I am using (here: "tunnelblick") would have to provide the value "app://", and I would have to enter this value in the "Website" field in the login? And in my case the application currently only provides the value "tunnelblick“.

That's correct. For example, for the Terminal app you would use "app://com.apple.Terminal" (without quotes). Tunnelblick will be something similar.

In this case I can't do anything but the application has to support 1Password ( respectively provide the right format/fields), right?

I think you only need to know the app identifier.

1Password already recognizes the name of the application - why can't it use this name for suggestions?

It's because you are not telling it which one of your logins 1Password should use. 1Password can recognize the app, but until you tell it which one of your logins should be shown for that app, 1Password is not able to suggest it to you. It's like going on a website in a browser: if your login item in 1Password does not have a value for the website field, 1Password does not know what login to show you, even if it knows what website you are on.

• Gerrit78
    Gerrit78
    Community Member

@ag_ana:
    Awsome, it works! Thank you very much for your tipps!

Best Regards, Gerrit

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Gerrit78! I am glad that I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• fubali
    fubali
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    I have another question about that. This thing with the URL seems to work only for entries of the category login or password, but not for entries of the category server. why?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fubali:

Server items cannot be autofilled: only Login, Password and Identity items can be filled.

• fubali
    fubali
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Thanks for your quick response.
    Okay, but who says I only use 1Password Mini for autofill? I often use it to copy out passwords that I need e.g. for SAP logins in my Parallels environment. It would be good if I could copy the URL app://com.parallels.desktop.console to all my server entries from 1Password so that they are displayed as "suggestions" for my Parallels environment.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fubali:

Okay, but who says I only use 1Password Mini for autofill?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean, but I believe this is irrelevant?

It would be good if I could copy the URL app://com.parallels.desktop.console to all my server entries from 1Password so that they are displayed as "suggestions" for my Parallels environment.

At the moment, I think the only way to do it would be if those items were Login items instead of Server items, because the URL must be entered in the website field of an item, which the Server category does not have. Sorry!

• Larry Daniele
    Larry Daniele
    Community Member

On a Mac, you can get the application identifier of any application from Terminal with a command such as this (for Quicken):

osascript -e 'id of app "Quicken"'

which returns:

com.quicken.Quicken

So adding a 1Password Password item with a "website" of:

app://com.quicken.Quicken

does the trick!

• @Larry Daniele

Thanks for sharing!

Ben

• newb
    newb
    Community Member

I'm trying to get my iOS Goto Meeting app to recognize 1Password as an autofill option. I found the BundleId online to be: com.logmein.gotomeeting. I entered app://com.logmein.gotomeeting as a "website" in my 1Password Goto Meeting login, but the app still does not offer the 1Password autofill option. Is there something else I should try? This same methodology also failed with the NordVPN app (using app://com.nordvpn.NordVPN).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@newb:

Is Goto Meeting the frontmost app on your system when you open 1Password?

Just to avoid misunderstandings: 1Password can only suggest the correct login for an app, but it cannot autofill your credentials in apps. So if the problem is that 1Password is not showing you the logins, we can look at why this is happening, but if it shows the login and does simply not autofill them, then this is expected.

• newb
    newb
    Community Member

When I gave the goto meeting app open and am in it, it gives me the keychain option and when I click it (using 1Password), it doesn't suggest the goto login... It gives me all my logins to scroll through... does this help?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@newb:

It gives me all my logins to scroll through... does this help?

When you click on the 1Password icon, can you check what the little dropdown menu there is set to? From what you are writing, it sounds like it might be currently set to "All Items". Can you check if that's the case, and if it is, change it to Suggestions?

• newb
    newb
    Community Member

I am set on suggestions... Let me share 2 screenshots from my iPhone. The first are my login settings for gotomeeting as viewed thru the iOS 1Password app. The second is the sign-in from within the gotomeeting iOS app - as you can see it does not provide me with an autofill option...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@newb:

For clarification: the new app:// URLs work in the 1Password for Mac app only. I see now that you are trying this exclusively on iOS, so this is a different scenario (I mistakenly assumed you were looking at the Mac feature since you posted on the Mac discussion, sorry about that).

When this happens in an iOS app, it's because the app developers have not implemented the associated domain feature in the app. Only when that is present 1Password will be able to fill credentials in the app. Here is the Apple documentation page in case you want to reach out to Gotomeeting to request this :+1:

• evanB
    evanB
    Community Member

@ag_ana +1 on the request for server type to also support apps in a website field. My use case is that I'd like to use 1Password to log into my SQL servers via TablePlus. Thanks!

• Thanks @evanB!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.