Why won't 1Password 7 update Password when changed?

JNGold
JNGold
Community Member

Hi All,

Running 1Pwd 7 on my Mac (Catalina). When in safari, if I change a password to a site (that is already existing in my 1Pwd vault), and I use the Mac OS Keychain suggestion, I get a notification pop up to update the password in my vault. I select "yes" (or whatever button is required) to update, then when I go into my 1Pwd vault, the password is still the older version. I thought this used to work before, but now is not.

I have uninstalled and re-installed (local license) and have checked setting to ensure that the extension is always running, and that new user names and passwords and offer to save them.

Any advice here?

TIA!

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.15.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JNGold!

Running 1Pwd 7 on my Mac (Catalina). When in safari, if I change a password to a site (that is already existing in my 1Pwd vault), and I use the Mac OS Keychain suggestion, I get a notification pop up to update the password in my vault.

We always recommend disabling the password manager in your browser, because keeping it active alongside 1Password can cause interference:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

What you are seeing could be because of this. Are things working if you turn off Keychain?

• JNGold
    JNGold
    Community Member

I can try that but I don’t want to remain using Keychain. I am not clear why 1pwd would notify me after the password was changed with a pop up notification and ask specifically to update an existing entry or add a new entry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JNGold:

I can try that but I don’t want to remain using Keychain.

In this case, don't worry: if you disable the password management feature in your browser, you will not remain using Keychain :+1:

I am not clear why 1pwd would notify me after the password was changed with a pop up notification and ask specifically to update an existing entry or add a new entry.

It's possible that 1Password notices that you are changing the password (and that's why it shows you the popup), but then the interference causes it to not be able to actually save the information.

• JNGold
    JNGold
    Community Member

I can try that but I don’t want to remain using Keychain. I am not clear why 1pwd would notify me after the password was changed with a pop up notification and ask specifically to update an existing entry or add a new entry.

• JNGold
    JNGold
    Community Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Slight correction to my typo above is that I DO want to keep using Keychain and I had thought that in the past accounts were updated properly when acknowledging from the prompt that I wanted to update the existing entry in the 1pwd vault. Since I prefer to use iCloud Keychain as the primary with the functionality that is not currently working as discussed, I may need to relegate using 1pwd to a minimal set of accounts that are not tied to a web site or application.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JNGold:

I understand, thank you for the clarification. Generally speaking, it's better to let 1Password do its job since handling credentials is what it does (and therefore you don't need additional tools to do it), but you can certainly keep using both if you prefer. However, you might encounter some unintended behavior, as per my posts above.

In any case, please let us know the results of the test and we can take it from there :+1:

This discussion has been closed.